MR2 SpyderChat banner

1 - 20 of 28 Posts

·
Registered
247 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Well, not really......

After not having the center caps on my wheels for a few weeks, I decided to make my own flying chicken.....instead of buying them. Excuse the crappy cell phone pics.

OEM center cap. I realized I had to grind it down, to get a smooth flat surface. Since its round, it wouldnt work with the material I was gonna use.

After grinding. I used the engraver at work, to get an even surface.

I used 1/16" engraved material for the chicken. The background is black (obviously), with the logo being brushed silver. You cant really tell from the picture though.

Not quite done, but almost.

Final product, after painting to match the wheels.

·
Registered
2,932 Posts
Mad props! Nice work! I did a similar treatment--filed the center, painted flat black, and put red badges on them--but your caps look much nicer.

·
Registered
740 Posts
Nice job. Pick a price.

·
Registered
593 Posts
Lol. I'll bite. If I send you mine could you turn those into yours? I'd gladly pay for that cool factor. I think I'd like to powdercoat my original rims black while I'm at it.

·
Registered
247 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Thanks guys! Yeah, I painted my oem wheels flat black. So far its been about a month, and the paint is holding up. I really wanna get them powder coated though.

As far as price, I wouldnt know. My plan wasnt to sell these or anything. But I'll gladly make them, for those that are interested. Just shoot me a PM.

·
Registered
2,765 Posts
I think a group buy is in order. I recall Blitzo had a few spares (radios-he made them orange) and would sell. The buyer then sent his/her radio back to Blitzo. That would be good for us daily Spyder drivers.

·
Registered
8,707 Posts
For those that aren't running stock wheels but the hub bore is close to stock, the stock wheel caps will fit in your aftermarket wheels, for a very custom look. I once had the black JDM wheel caps on a set of black and chrome Rotas on the white Spyder (God rest its soul).

·
Registered
862 Posts
How much would you charge to do this? I live in Los Angeles and can drop them off. If you can't do it can you tell us the process and tools used to grind the caps down so smoothly?

·
Registered
247 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
How much would you charge to do this? I live in Los Angeles and can drop them off. If you can't do it can you tell us the process and tools used to grind the caps down so smoothly?
Yeah, you can drop them off. I'll do them for $60.

Where did you buy those badges and do they hold up for a while?
I made them, and yes....it will hold up.

1 - 20 of 28 Posts