MR2 SpyderChat banner

1 - 20 of 24 Posts

·
Registered
54 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Ive always said Jan 2021 is my build date for my Veilside MR2 spyder. As that date approaches, I recently reach out to a shop to ensure my estimates werent off.

The veilside kit requires a new exhaust manifold. I was quoted 4-5k. That sound right? Below is how he justified the rough estimate

"We charge $115/hour for custom welding, and $90/hour for general labor. The general assembly and fabrication would probably run around 7-8 hours. Welding alone would probably be around the 20+ hour mark.

- Then you have materials, basically tubing, 2 tips, 1 flex section, 4 flanges, 1 muffler, and 1 long manifold flange - depending on sizes and availability the material could be around the $400-$800 range.

All in for a 1 off customer exhaust like that, I'd say roughly around the 4-5k mark all said and done, Tig welded, with T304 stainless."

·
Registered
37 Posts
That sounds way high to me. I've seen complete custom turbo kits done for that price. If it is a 1zz or 2zz I have to think you can find an existing manifold of some sort that will work or that can be used as a starting point. I'd learn to Tig for that price.

·
Registered
54 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Yeah, i was honestly hoping between 2-3k at the high end. The original exhaust has one exhaust tip, the veilside kit requires two. I know nothing about exhausts, but perhaps that would prevent using the existing manifold as starting point?

·
Registered
37 Posts
If you just need to switch to a dual outlet you should be able to retain the stock header and down pipe. There are several commercial dual pipe mufflers that can be used as a basis for your new exhaust. simply cutoff the two exits and route them as needed. This is nothing difficult or complex. Custom muffler for stock 1zz, 2zz should be less than $1k or so imho. Now if you have a 2gr or something then all bets are off.

·
Registered
263 Posts
Definitely not 20 hrs of welding, you should have asked who they would be teaching to weld for 18 & a half hrs on your dime. Other than that part of the estimate, essentially you are paying for them to do the R&D to develop it. While it shouldn’t take that long, everyone in the social media world says they have ‘custom’ mods & that word now demands a premium price tag when really what it means is someone figured out how to measure, bend pipe, and weld it to fit....things they do every day and in reality don’t take as long to do as it takes to take the car apart, measure everything, & then sit down and mock up a build using plastic blocks. A shop that does this full time then takes the plastic blocks (after mocking it up on the car to ensure fit), cuts the pipe to size (including the bends if needed, tack welds it all together, & then finishes welding each joint.

A quality place will clean up the welds & have it looking like as sharp as a new PPE/MWR piece. While an hr and a half is definitely an exaggeration, 20 hrs sounds like either the Van Gogh of fabrication & clean welds...or pure insanity

·
Registered
54 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Definitely not 20 hrs of welding, you should have asked who they would be teaching to weld for 18 & a half hrs on your dime. Other than that part of the estimate, essentially you are paying for them to do the R&D to develop it. While it shouldn’t take that long, everyone in the social media world says they have ‘custom’ mods & that word now demands a premium price tag when really what it means is someone figured out how to measure, bend pipe, and weld it to fit....things they do every day and in reality don’t take as long to do as it takes to take the car apart, measure everything, & then sit down and mock up a build using plastic blocks. A shop that does this full time then takes the plastic blocks (after mocking it up on the car to ensure fit), cuts the pipe to size (including the bends if needed, tack welds it all together, & then finishes welding each joint.

A quality place will clean up the welds & have it looking like as sharp as a new PPE/MWR piece. While an hr and a half is definitely an exaggeration, 20 hrs sounds like either the Van Gogh of fabrication & clean welds...or pure insanity
I appreciate that insight. this would have blown up my build budget. The thing is I'm quite aware of my wants and needs from every other part of the build, but I haven't a clue whats worth shelling out extra money on for exhaust. All I want for it to do is look clean from the outside and soud nice. As you said, these guys may the Van Gogh of fabrication, I don't need that - I just need a solid artist with a 4 year degree from a state school.

·
Registered
263 Posts
Out of curiosity.... is this estimate from the same shop that would be installing the wide body kit or a shop that would be doing purely exhaust work for you?
Also, if you don't mind helping my ignorance, why do you need a custom header with the body kit?

·
Registered
6,279 Posts
Well done, phatts (y)(y)

·
Registered
54 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Out of curiosity.... is this estimate from the same shop that would be installing the wide body kit or a shop that would be doing purely exhaust work for you?
Also, if you don't mind helping my ignorance, why do you need a custom header with the body kit?
Im no master of the proper terminology to use, but the veilside kit relocates the location of the exhaust tip AND adds an extra exhaust tip. So the existing exhaust isnt compatible.

·
Registered
54 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
oh and to answer the first bit, theyd be doing exhaust only. None of the body shops will give me something straight, they say some kits require a lot of work after they are on. Im assuming paint and install would cost about 6k

·
Registered
263 Posts
Im no master of the proper terminology to use, but the veilside kit relocates the location of the exhaust tip AND adds an extra exhaust tip. So the existing exhaust isnt compatible.
This I understand, my question is why they need to add making a custom exhaust manifold onto your price when custom exhaust can typically use a manifold (sometimes even the midpipe) and then fab the downstream components such as either the cat/resonator & exhaust tips. It seems like an unnecessary added on price that might even end up with worse exhaust flow from the custom header.. not that you're burning rubber if you're keeping the 1zz but to pay more AND potentially have less performance would just be getting kicked while you're down

·
Registered
54 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
This I understand, my question is why they need to add making a custom exhaust manifold onto your price when custom exhaust can typically use a manifold (sometimes even the midpipe) and then fab the downstream components such as either the cat/resonator & exhaust tips. It seems like an unnecessary added on price that might even end up with worse exhaust flow from the custom header.. not that you're burning rubber if you're keeping the 1zz but to pay more AND potentially have less performance would just be getting kicked while you're down
okay, Im an idiot when it comes to exhaust. What you are saying is that instead of starting from scratch they could just modify the existing exhaust and fab as needed? thats would typically be cheaper?

·
Registered
263 Posts
That's exactly what I'm saying. They could modify only what needs to be modded to make the exhaust fit. We have a 3 part stock exhaust....header, midpipe (the part with the catalytic converter), & muffler. A good shop should be able to take at least the header, maybe even the midpipe depending on the desired exhaust design, and modify the rest to fit. If you are going for a clean look you can take the header, sand it, & paint it to look like a new piece instead of a rusted part in an otherwise flawless car. Alternatively you can spend money on a new header which isn't that expensive, especially compared to what they are looking to charge you. This will keep everything with that polished metal look if that's what you prefer.

When you see people that do engine swaps they sometimes require custom headers due to clearance issues with the subframe of the car however I am under the impression that you are doing a body kit & no engine swap

·
Registered
54 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
Thats correct. No swap at this time. Ive got 41k original miles with the cats still there if I start burning oil at some point ill do the 2zz swap, but not before then. Ill email them with that type or suggestion and see what that would do to the price...though i get the feeling this shop would charge more than most

·
Registered
37 Posts
Buy the guys exhaust above, run screaming from this shop. Get you body kit installed and then find a good mechanical shop to help with extras.

·
Registered
263 Posts
He may have thought you were looking for something very high end/show car worthy, so just try to be clear that the stock style header is fine and then you need the exhaust fabbed up from there. It’s probably no more than 10ft of pipe with a catalytic converter & resonator welded into place. You want it to fit the body kit and that does take some work but it’s not nearly as involved as doing a full header & exhaust system. It also pays to get estimates from a few places & see if they have pictures of their work so you get an idea of what is competitive in your area

1 - 20 of 24 Posts