MR2 SpyderChat banner
1 - 20 of 53 Posts

·
Registered
339 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Another detail of my planned "Red Dragon" project. I found very good reviews of the custom dials made for our cars from Metalmonkey.com. I contacted them regarding a custom gauge cluster set and was replied to by Naomi. She was very professional and accommodating and she didn't mind my constant design changes :) I highly recommend dealing with if you plan on getting custom gauge faces.

As you can see it started with a white face back and some basic changes. Then I came across a dial for the Noble supercar (a British supercar) gauge on the internet. Fell in love with it and showed it to Naomi. Both the notches and fonts were not available as part of their options online yet she replicated the notches and font as accurately as possible.

I also added my own Red Dragon logo in the middle, increased the rev to 9,000 rpm and more importantly changed the speed reading to km/h!! (my fav!) as well as a few other minor changes. The final results couldn’t have been better :) the backlight will be white like in the Noble car but I ordered red bulbs in case I don’t like the white. Its not installed yet as it’s a bit more complicated and ill have to take my time doing it at home once the gauge cluster is removed.

Will post pics of it installed with the lights on once its done :)

·
Registered
2,075 Posts
Naomi was the one who helped me out as well and had the a/c panel gauges made up. They are a great company to work with. Did you order the matching a/c gauges?

Looks good and I like the Noble idea.....

·
Registered
1,240 Posts
OK - so this probably going to thread drift just a bit but I have to ask...;)

On a 2ZZ'd Spyder with the stock instrument cluster, if I push the revs past 8.000 will the needle keep traveling past the 8,000RPM mark or just stay pinned?

I ask because I'm performing a 2ZZ swap in the near future and wasn't sure how to address the tach issue. I don't want to just guess when I'm getting close to redline, and I really didn't want to have to add an additional tach. I'm trying to keep this as clean and as stock looking as possible.

If the needle keeps traveling past the 8,000RPM mark, than these custom gauge dials would work beautifully. I'd see if they can make me up a set that look very close to stock except for a 9,000RPM redline.

·
Registered
5,879 Posts
Looks good, for the most part.
Personally, I would have deleted the "< FUEL DOOR" signage.
I prefer the original Dragon Logo. The later one looks like a road sign icon of a bull skewered on a railroad spike.
Oh well....

Before you take anything apart, research carefully the removal and replacement of the gauge needles (pointers). I get the impression that breaking something during the removal is likely. Also, replacing them so that the gauge reads correctly is reputedly a PITA.

·
Registered
9,855 Posts
The later one looks like a road sign icon of a bull skewered on a railroad spike.
Oh well....
Most craziest explanation of a chinese word :lol:.

Shoulda had them do the actual word of dragon instead of that which i think means middle and other stuff.

·
Registered
7,661 Posts
On a 2ZZ'd Spyder with the stock instrument cluster, if I push the revs past 8.000 will the needle keep traveling past the 8,000RPM mark or just stay pinned?

It won't travel past the 8k rpm mark.

·
Registered
339 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
The Red Dragon logo and name is my "official" title for any car I modify. The car mofifying comunity is small in Dubai so everyone knows my cars by the Red Dragon name.. why? ALL of them have been red (this is my fifth project). I watched the prequel to Silence of the Lambs titled 'Red Dragon' many years ago and saw the logo there. It literaly means "middle" or "centre" in Chinese.. but its also the Red Dragon symbol in Mahjong.

Why didnt I use the real Red Dragon translation? cause that would look too complicated in Chinese.. this ones simple and looks like a logo.

·
Registered
1,240 Posts

·
Registered
9,855 Posts
but its also the Red Dragon symbol in Mahjong.

Why didnt I use the real Red Dragon translation? cause that would look too complicated in Chinese.. this ones simple and looks like a logo.
Your right forgot about the mahjong thing. But the dragon word in chinese looks alot cooler. good choice.

·
Registered
196 Posts
How much did these bad boys set you back??? Website? Phone number??
I was looking to upgrade mine due to the 2ZZ swap- I noticed early in the thread someone asked what I was wondering- the tach stops at 8k huh? Anything to change it? I would figure its an electrical output not mechanical and it would read out whatever rpm youre at? Either way a more accurate gauge that looks factory is IDEAL for my needs. I dont need a Fast & Fuirous Autometer gauge....nor would I ever want one..just looks flat out tacky when you already have on in your dash from the factory...

·
Registered
2,075 Posts
Use two spoons on each side of a needle and leverage the needle up. It's the safest way to pop them off without breaking them.

·
Registered
1,897 Posts
Use two spoons on each side of a needle and leverage the needle up. It's the safest way to pop them off without breaking them.
and this coming from a guy who owns a restaurant!!!

A very good one at that!!!

·
Registered
247 Posts
The Red Dragon logo and name is my "official" title for any car I modify. The car mofifying comunity is small in Dubai so everyone knows my cars by the Red Dragon name.. why? ALL of them have been red (this is my fifth project). I watched the prequel to Silence of the Lambs titled 'Red Dragon' many years ago and saw the logo there. It literaly means "middle" or "centre" in Chinese.. but its also the Red Dragon symbol in Mahjong.

Not sure if youre talking to me, or in general....upset or just explaining. Hard to tell when you cant hear the persons tone in their voice.

Anyhow, I wasn't trying to bash or say anything negatively. If I did, I apologize....that wasn't my intention. I really like it....and if I had some extra change in my pocket, I would buy one. Your reasons & explaination is really cool, I didn't know thats what it meant. Much props.

·
Registered
401 Posts
Not to be a thread jacker, well actually this is on topic so its all good. The website for these stainless steel custom gauge clusters and such is www.metal-monkey.co.uk. Also, the cluster w/o the 9K rpm is sitting at a base price of 85 euros, so roughly around 111 dollars. In order to get the 9K rpm on the gauge cluster, you will have to contact them to get custom work done, which means a higher price tag.

Reactions: merlinyoda

·
Registered
339 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
Naomi was the one who helped me out as well and had the a/c panel gauges made up. They are a great company to work with. Did you order the matching a/c gauges?

Looks good and I like the Noble idea.....
Yup I oredered matching HVAC dials. You will see a pic of that in the CF vinyl threat I posted :)

·
Registered
339 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
It would be good if you can take pictures once installed in the day and night?
Will do.. just need to get my mind on installing them. im so afraid of messing something up. Wish I had a detailed guide with photos or something.. there was a thrieat about that somewhere I remember but cant seem to find it.

·
Registered
339 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 · (Edited)
How much did these bad boys set you back??? Website? Phone number??
I was looking to upgrade mine due to the 2ZZ swap- I noticed early in the thread someone asked what I was wondering- the tach stops at 8k huh? Anything to change it? I would figure its an electrical output not mechanical and it would read out whatever rpm youre at? Either way a more accurate gauge that looks factory is IDEAL for my needs. I dont need a Fast & Fuirous Autometer gauge....nor would I ever want one..just looks flat out tacky when you already have on in your dash from the factory...
As Vince said above. Naomi can help out with the custom work. Pretty much anything you can dream of. Its usualy 10 to 15 pounds per change in something from factory. so like the 9k was an extra 10 pounds.

1 - 20 of 53 Posts