MR2 SpyderChat banner
41 - 52 of 52 Posts

·
Registered
54 Posts
I noticed that someone said that the dial can't get to 9k. Can anyone confirm this? I'm actually going to need a minimum 10k tac for my rotary swap. I would rather keep the factory gauge cluster because I want the trip counter and odometer to read correctly.

·
Registered
977 Posts
Go with a speedhut tacho, one of the sizes available fits over the stock tacho and goes to the required rpm. The stock tacho stops moving at 8k

Sent from my SM-G900F using Tapatalk

·
Registered
54 Posts
Sad times... looks like I'll just pull the gauge cluster then and use the RX8's. I should be able to reprogram the mileage to match the Spyder's cluster.

·
Registered
1,029 Posts
So here it is. A few things to note:
1) getting the gauge needles off was a pain - I was afraid I was going to snap them. My fear was unfounded.
2) I disassembled more of the instrumentation panel than necessary, causing myself undo stress, which was also unfounded.
3) When I got the needles off, I messed up the calibration, of all but the RPMs. The good news, is I was able to re-calibrate them
-The fuel tank was full - dead easy.
- The temp gauge goes from below cold, to just above the mid-mark when warm - just reinstalled when warm.
- The speedo was a challenge - BUT, I had taken a drive before pulling the gauges off, and made note of what RMP/Gear combo resulted in what speed. That was enough for a close calibration. I used local laser-radar traps in town to get it dialed in further, then reconfirmed with my GPS on the highway. I'm dialed in now.

So, some notes about the gauge faces themselves.
1) The metal looks awesome. I thought it was going to look too shiny when I had the lenses off, but nope, looks great.
2) The backlighting is MUCH brighter than stock. Forget about replacing/upgrading your bulbs - you won't need to.
3) The orange is a little on the redish side - certainly a little more than the factory orange backlights - so make sure to get the HVAC/Heater rings to match.

If anyone wants pointers on the install, or is close to me and wants to do the same, look me up, and I'll lend you any pointers I can. I certainly wish I knew someone who'd done it before-hand - I would have saved myself a boatload of UNNECCESSARY stress.

All that said - Naomi or anyone at Metal Monkey - if you're reading this - really excellent work. These parts look great.

·
Registered
1,487 Posts
Looks good

Just a little word of advice to people who are fretting over the gauge needles. Do the work when the car is cold, the speedo and tach have pins to rest the needle on so plug the cluster back in, turn the key to on than install the needles. It is not that hard. Just leave the front plastic piece off. As for the fuel and temp, take a picture when it's cold and measure off to somewhere for the install back.

·
Registered
5,450 Posts
It has been awhile since I installed the face but as I recall there is still tension on the speedo and tach with the key out. I do prefer this face even after the work and adjustment. Fuel and temp where easy.

·
Registered
1,029 Posts
Looks good

Just a little word of advice to people who are fretting over the gauge needles. Do the work when the car is cold, the speedo and tach have pins to rest the needle on so plug the cluster back in, turn the key to on than install the needles. It is not that hard. Just leave the front plastic piece off. As for the fuel and temp, take a picture when it's cold and measure off to somewhere for the install back.
This is good advice - the only challenge I found was when using "the two spoons" method to get the needles off, that my activity could turn the spindle the needle was on, as I was pulling the needle off. With a bare spindle, I had no idea which way it was oriented. Assuming the spindles would stay stationary while I did my work caused me the greatest amount of unnecessary stress.

To get the best result with the least stress:
1) Fill your gas tank
2) take pictures of your gauges, both cold and warm
3) make note of your speed relating to your RPMs
4) make plenty of notes... does the needle sit on the high or low side of the marker... etc. etc.

Acting like a scientist here will make the project take a little longer, but be far more likely to have a desirable outcome.
Also, Metal Monkey supplies a pair of latex gloves... awesome. I could do the whole project now, with one pair of gloves. But never having done it, I used three...? Get more gloves.

·
Registered
699 Posts
Good work! I will come see you when I am ready for this ! Thanks for sharing !

41 - 52 of 52 Posts