MR2 SpyderChat banner

Custom Metal Monkey dials - wow! (pics included)

19K views 52 replies 25 participants last post by  merlinyoda 
#1 ·
Another detail of my planned "Red Dragon" project. I found very good reviews of the custom dials made for our cars from Metalmonkey.com. I contacted them regarding a custom gauge cluster set and was replied to by Naomi. She was very professional and accommodating and she didn't mind my constant design changes :) I highly recommend dealing with if you plan on getting custom gauge faces.

As you can see it started with a white face back and some basic changes. Then I came across a dial for the Noble supercar (a British supercar) gauge on the internet. Fell in love with it and showed it to Naomi. Both the notches and fonts were not available as part of their options online yet she replicated the notches and font as accurately as possible.

I also added my own Red Dragon logo in the middle, increased the rev to 9,000 rpm and more importantly changed the speed reading to km/h!! (my fav!) as well as a few other minor changes. The final results couldn’t have been better :) the backlight will be white like in the Noble car but I ordered red bulbs in case I don’t like the white. Its not installed yet as it’s a bit more complicated and ill have to take my time doing it at home once the gauge cluster is removed.

Will post pics of it installed with the lights on once its done :)

See less See more
#3 ·
Naomi was the one who helped me out as well and had the a/c panel gauges made up. They are a great company to work with. Did you order the matching a/c gauges?

Looks good and I like the Noble idea.....

#18 ·
Yup I oredered matching HVAC dials. You will see a pic of that in the CF vinyl threat I posted :)

#4 ·
OK - so this probably going to thread drift just a bit but I have to ask...;)

On a 2ZZ'd Spyder with the stock instrument cluster, if I push the revs past 8.000 will the needle keep traveling past the 8,000RPM mark or just stay pinned?

I ask because I'm performing a 2ZZ swap in the near future and wasn't sure how to address the tach issue. I don't want to just guess when I'm getting close to redline, and I really didn't want to have to add an additional tach. I'm trying to keep this as clean and as stock looking as possible.

If the needle keeps traveling past the 8,000RPM mark, than these custom gauge dials would work beautifully. I'd see if they can make me up a set that look very close to stock except for a 9,000RPM redline.

#5 ·
Looks good, for the most part.
Personally, I would have deleted the "< FUEL DOOR" signage.
I prefer the original Dragon Logo. The later one looks like a road sign icon of a bull skewered on a railroad spike.
Oh well....

Before you take anything apart, research carefully the removal and replacement of the gauge needles (pointers). I get the impression that breaking something during the removal is likely. Also, replacing them so that the gauge reads correctly is reputedly a PITA.

#9 ·
The Red Dragon logo and name is my "official" title for any car I modify. The car mofifying comunity is small in Dubai so everyone knows my cars by the Red Dragon name.. why? ALL of them have been red (this is my fifth project). I watched the prequel to Silence of the Lambs titled 'Red Dragon' many years ago and saw the logo there. It literaly means "middle" or "centre" in Chinese.. but its also the Red Dragon symbol in Mahjong.

Why didnt I use the real Red Dragon translation? cause that would look too complicated in Chinese.. this ones simple and looks like a logo.

#19 ·
Will do.. just need to get my mind on installing them. im so afraid of messing something up. Wish I had a detailed guide with photos or something.. there was a thrieat about that somewhere I remember but cant seem to find it.

#13 ·
How much did these bad boys set you back??? Website? Phone number??
I was looking to upgrade mine due to the 2ZZ swap- I noticed early in the thread someone asked what I was wondering- the tach stops at 8k huh? Anything to change it? I would figure its an electrical output not mechanical and it would read out whatever rpm youre at? Either way a more accurate gauge that looks factory is IDEAL for my needs. I dont need a Fast & Fuirous Autometer gauge....nor would I ever want one..just looks flat out tacky when you already have on in your dash from the factory...

#20 · (Edited)
As Vince said above. Naomi can help out with the custom work. Pretty much anything you can dream of. Its usualy 10 to 15 pounds per change in something from factory. so like the 9k was an extra 10 pounds.

#14 ·
Use two spoons on each side of a needle and leverage the needle up. It's the safest way to pop them off without breaking them.

#15 ·
and this coming from a guy who owns a restaurant!!!

A very good one at that!!!

#17 ·
Not to be a thread jacker, well actually this is on topic so its all good. The website for these stainless steel custom gauge clusters and such is www.metal-monkey.co.uk. Also, the cluster w/o the 9K rpm is sitting at a base price of 85 euros, so roughly around 111 dollars. In order to get the 9K rpm on the gauge cluster, you will have to contact them to get custom work done, which means a higher price tag.

Reactions: merlinyoda
#24 ·
Finally got the dials installed! They look and work great but I must have messed up with the needles cause the reading are ALL wrong! Trust me I tried my best and was VERY careful in following the instructions.. still I couldnt get the right reading. As you can see in the pic the RPM is roughly around 1,100 rpm instead of the usual 800-900. The speedo is off by 5 mph and the fuel and petrol level are off by a lot.

I will need to take pics of the current readings with the engine on and then re-position the needles accordingly. Any advice from you guys who have replaces gauge dials lemme know!

As far as the custom dials I left out any colour on the dial faces so its white. But when you switch the light on its more yelowish than white. You might see a bit of it in the photo. So ill use my option of replacing the bulbs to red and see the result there.

#25 ·
As far as the custom dials I left out any colour on the dial faces so its white. But when you switch the light on its more yelowish than white. You might see a bit of it in the photo. So ill use my option of replacing the bulbs to red and see the result there.
The instrument illumination bulbs are type 2721 (US designation, may be different elsewhere). I don't know if they are available in different colors. If you're thinking about using LEDs, read this first
http://spyderchat.com/forums/showthread.php?42265-LEDs-and-the-Spyder&highlight=leds

#26 ·
I have 2 questions for you guys that have this overlay:

#1- Is there anything that would be done for the stock RPM needle to go up to 9k?

#2- What is the easiest color to go with if I don't want that damn amber after the install?

Thanks everyone for your help.

#27 ·
Wow it looks good Marvin !
I am not doing for my dial yet is because of the concern of messing up the needle readings. I also like the LP gauge cluster too. It is bright and colorful.. Not sure it is LED back lighting .. Can someone out there who has make this mod (dial or LP gauage cluster installed) give us some tips and tricks who to do this without messing up the needle ? How would the a Toyota shop change out the cluster ? what technique and tools do they use ? Any Toyota mechanics here ?

Thanks.

#29 ·
Oris I strongly suggest you have an experienced person install the gauge faces for you. There are many companies in the US that can do that. But the best solution would be to warm up the car and mark the needles position at idle. Then remove the factory gauge cluster and SEND it to Monkey Metal for them to install it all (better ask them in advance on all this before you do).

It will cost more but if you mess up like I did you will have to live with uncalibrated gauges in your car for good.. which sucks. I never know if I'm running out of petrol or not so I have to make sure the tank is at least quarter full to be sure that its not in fact empty!

#31 ·
Thread revival for you, but I thought I'd tack onto an existing thread rather than starting a new one.

Those of you who know me, know I'm a Canadian - upon purchasing my car, I found myself having to look the gauges more closely to read my speed in KM/H on the inner ring of the speedo. So getting a Metal Monkey gauge face replacement has been on my 'list' for a long time.

I ordered my replacement on May 29th (Friday). Keep in mind, Metal Monkey is located in the UK, so when I placed my order, it was probably 2:00am Metal-Monkey-Standard-Time. I received very prompt communication over the weekend (Saturday?) from Naomi, and was told my order would be filled Monday, and shipped Monday or Tuesday.
I got an email with a tracking number on Monday - sweet. The shipping expectation on their website was about 2 weeks for overseas and only cost $11, so I figured I'd check the tracking number later in the week.
Thursday, June 4th - Holy $@&# I got a package in the mail! I couldn't believe how fast they arrived. 4 Business days.

I haven't done the install yet, but I've opened the package, and am impressed.
The gauge cluster was wrapped in a light/tissue style paper to prevent fingerprints, then sandwiched in cardboard. It was backed particle board to prevent any bending/folding in transit.
Also included - a Ziploc bag with an installation guide with tips and tricks, plus a pair of latex gloves to prevent smudging.

Oh, and I haven't mentioned it - all the pieces (I ordered matching climate control rings too) all of them look incredible. They don't look like something put together in a garage - these look like they were developed by Austin Martin. Very clean, very sporty, incredible high-end sports/factory look. I'll get a couple pictures over the weekend if I get some time, but I have to tell you, these things look so, so good.

#33 ·
As promised - pictures. I like the first two pictures, but they're overexposed, making the metal look white. I was trying to show in picture 3 that it's a really nice stainless, but the picture doesn't look as good as the gauge faces do in real life.

Reactions: merlinyoda
#34 ·
I wanted a black gauge face so I purchase from Metal Monkey. Hardest part is getting the indicators placed accurately. I had a friend with a Snap-On tester that gave rpm and speed. I am know accurate at 60mph. Fuel and temp where fairly easy to place accurately. It is a nicely done face.

#35 ·
Setting the instrument gauge needles back accurately is my main reason from holding off for this mod.. So far I have not come across any procedures or tricks to ensure it is accurately setup after putting those needle back on..

Lushman, please show your steps after you have it installed.. Thanks !

#37 ·
No worries, will do.

They include an installation guide to make things easier. For fuel (which can be tricky) they suggest filling your tank before you do the mod. I plan to fill my tank, then re-fill my car again with a jerry-can when I get home to ensure best-accuracy.

I'll give you a score on ease of installation, or lack therof.
It'll probably be a few weeks before I get around to it, but I'll update this same thread when I do.

#36 ·
It's decently easy. For speed, you just use GPS or OBD II signal to get proper speed at 40 MPH or above and stick the needle on. For RPM, even easier. Stick it on when the car is warm and idling at around 700 (OBD II helps). Fuel, gotta do from memory. Temp, stick it on when it's warm. I had to do this with my Corolla when I had to replace the speedometer/odometer assembly inside my new gauge cluster.

#38 ·
Thanks ! No hurry.. too many projects.. This will be my winter or spring project. :)

#39 ·
So, I got the heater dials in last week? Time is blurring together. I had the day off yesterday, so I spend some time getting the gauge cluster dials in. A couple of comments about the process.

1) It is easy to screw up where your gauges are - I figured I might, and had a plan, and my gauges are giving great readouts now.
2) Having never disassembled the cluster completely before, I took apart more than I needed to - that was foolish.
3) I was sweating like a pig the whole time - I'll be honest, there were 2 times where I thought I had broken something - it was terrifying
4) Now that I've done it once, doing it a second time is easy.

Oris, if you decide to do this mod, and are in town, come and see me. I really could've used a hand or second set of eyes when I was doing this work. Particularly if the person had done it before.

I'll have more pictures up later this week.

#41 ·
I noticed that someone said that the dial can't get to 9k. Can anyone confirm this? I'm actually going to need a minimum 10k tac for my rotary swap. I would rather keep the factory gauge cluster because I want the trip counter and odometer to read correctly.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.