MR2 SpyderChat banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Anyone used or have experience with 'Shop SAR' Katzkin Leather seat covers. Considering ordering a set for my 2001. $933.00. They have what looks like factory appearances with some cool embrordery options. Thanks for any input.

·
Registered
54 Posts
An upholstery shop near me uses Katzkin stuff, and I have talked to them about redoing my seats in Katzkin (drivers side seat has seen slightly better days). A two tone would be awesome, but the icing would be if they had a Spyder logo or symbol offering. I can't find it one on their website though. Outside of that, I don't have any experience with them though.

·
Registered
464 Posts
I just checked out that Shop Sar site, I didn't see a photograph of a finished installed cover. As they are just a drop shipper, I'd stay the hell away. For over $900 that's pretty steep. I've never seen this Katskin stuff but it seems like its turning into a staple hype like magnaflow, if it's quality buy it quick before they sell it all to China. According to the katzkin site, they don't make an mr2 cover. You'd think an upholstery shop would make their over covers rather that ordering and installing a brand, but hey its 2018 and this is a shit hole country.
There are lots of alternatives and I wouldn't be surprised if it's all the same product.
Check out: https://ridies.com/Product/27003/2000-2007-Toyota-MR2-Genuine-Leather-Door-Trim-Covers
Hope they just didn't steal photos from off this forum....

·
Registered
795 Posts
Katzkin is high quality and come with a warranty. My first exposure to them was when a friend bought a new truck and asked for the fabric covers be changed to leather. The dealer sent it to an upholstery shop not far from where I currently live. The fit was perfect. When i bought my Silverado crew cab I decided to leave out the middle man and went directly to that shop. Because they do installs for quite a few dealers it was hard to even get an appointment for them to do my direct buy. The covers came as a package; front, back and console. I got it all installed for $1195 plus tax and was super satisfied with the quality as well as fit. So, if the amount stated is just the covers, not installed, it's pretty high.

·
Registered
54 Posts
I agree with TxBman, the quote I got to have both seats redone in two tone leather with fresh foam was about $800, and that was full install involving me dropping the car off and them doing all the work. Just $800 for the leather is pretty crazy.

·
Registered
87 Posts
Custom Seats

I had the seat covers on my 2001 MR-2 install in 2008 and they look great .Show no wear . I had them stitch on a MR-2 symbol looks great .

·
Registered
3,711 Posts
Slip-over seat covers always look pretty bad. The problem is there are no “listing sleeves” to pull the material down tight between the foam bolsters. The result? Your seat (cover) will look like a saggy potato sack and squirm around and twist when you sit on it.

I bought some new leather “slip covers” and modified them by stitching listing sleeves all the way around the seat back and seat bottom, then threading the factory wire through all the sleeves, and tying them down to the seat frame - same as the factory seat is installed. I peeled off the original seat leathers and threw them away. Then installed the “seat covers” same as original. It’s extra work, but the end result looks close to factory.

P.S. This will likely require an industrial sewing machine since you have to sew through 2-3 layers of seat material.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Anyone used or have experience with 'Shop SAR' Katzkin Leather seat covers. Considering ordering a set for my 2001. $933.00. They have what looks like factory appearances with some cool embrordery options. Thanks for any input.
Just unboxed a set for my 2001. Ordered from autoseatskins.com. Katzkin customer reps insisted the pattern for our spyder does not exist anymore...don't waste you time dealing directly with Katzkin... call auto seat skins. Now the fit, can't comment, their not installed yet, leather and embroidery looks good.

·
Registered
95 Posts
Just a thought. You might not want to underestimate your local upholsterer's capability. I brought my seats in for a complete redo and had them customize it the way I wanted it. Total cost was $1000, including materials, labor, and tax. Less than $100 difference between getting exactly what you want and what's on offer. They even put in the screaming eagle in the headrests.

Like I said, just a thought.

MR2-2235.jpg

1 - 10 of 10 Posts
About this Discussion
9 Replies
8 Participants
drjmetz
MR2 SpyderChat
SpyderChat Forum is a community for Toyota MR2 Spyder Enthusiasts to discuss specs, reliability and more!
Full Forum Listing