MR2 SpyderChat banner

1 - 20 of 30 Posts

·
Registered
286 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
It was raining and getting cold. I must have hit a slick spot. Then It happened, I spun the f#*k out… But on the bright side, I was walked away with not even a scratch. And I have full insurances thank goodness. I so loved my 2003 MR2. I dont know If it is totaled yet ,but the drivers side rear wheel is bent in..

I Don’t know if its totaled out(stay tuned for a parts list for sale).

·
Registered
2,932 Posts
Just to be clear, that white stuff is not rain:)

·
Registered
2,542 Posts
I'm not thinking it's totaled but I guess from an insurance standpoint it depends on the value of the car vs. how much to repair it. It looks like it will need a new bumper, new wheel and tire, but insurance may want to pay for a factory wheel only, and probably a new rear fender and tail light, plus suspension parts. I'm thinking ~ $4-5K but that's a very rough estimate. Keep us posted.

·
Registered
217 Posts
Wont really know till they check out whats broken underneath i guess. Could potentially be driveline and or suspension damage depending how the wheel was pushed in.

Im glad it doesnt snow around here in respect to cars. Snow seems like a huge hazard, i'd definately want to have a winter car i dont care about as much for all the extra dangers including the salted roads eating away at the body work.

·
Registered
4,575 Posts
Snow on the ground, low temperatures and raining. I find it incredible that you were doing the speed you stated in those conditions.

Hopefully it is repairable.

·
Registered
138 Posts
Speed by itself isn't dangerous. Neither is ice, rain, or cold temperatures. However, what is really dangerous is speed on ice in cold temperatures in the rain. Around freezing, water can create a near frictionless layer on top of ice and that is what you spun out on. All the signs were there.

It happened. It's now in the past. I hope you've learned and are unhurt.

I also hope that your Spyder comes out of this ok. It looks like it was a clean car and it would be a shame to lose it.

·
Registered
2,932 Posts
I'm sure it is hard for people from Texas to know how to drive in the snow... I know that when it snows down here in Miami--what the hell am I talking about??? The world ends, that is what happens when it snows here... ain't gonna happen-_- Let this thread be a lesson for everyone in colder regions. Slow down in this stuff--better yet, get your Spyder off the roads so that nobody slams into it. A winter beater is a cheap alternative to this (and you can actually take it shopping).

·
Registered
782 Posts

·
Registered
1,165 Posts

·
Registered
2,932 Posts
I agree with you about the fear of someone ELSE hitting your baby, but if you apply this to florida, you simply should not drive your Spyder EVER, especially in Dade county, as we have so many distracted idiots behind the wheel, driving without regard to laws or common sense.

Winter driving an MR car really isn't that bad. I drove my AW11 year-round when i lived in Spokane, with no real issues. I found it safer in the snow than a front drive corolla, actually. An MR car will turn in the snow, when a FF car simply understeers into a ditch. Obviously, any car at speeds over the recommended limit per conditions, will be subject to the OP's demise.
Life is about calculated risks... driving in South Florida on dry pavement with no obstructions vs. driving in snow in Texas (with drivers not practiced with this) are two VERY different things-_-. I can see how a Spyder wouldn't be horrible in snow with appropriate tires (at least not as bad as my Mustang convertible was when I lived in Missouri:(). I think your last sentence is the key--no car is safe at 60-65 in icy conditions... I used to laugh when I lived in MO and I would have some knucklehead blow past me in an SUV doing 70 mph in the snow because they had "four wheel drive" (as if that was somehow going to help them stop or change direction). Very rarely helped them get it out of the ditch either...

·
Registered
782 Posts

·
Registered
1,165 Posts

·
Registered
782 Posts
Lol it was a joke hehe. Someone really needs to invent a sarcasim/joking text. Just my weird humor. :lol:
Really like the videos in your signature. Great looking turbo spyder!! Are you driving or your husband? If you let him drive it!

·
Registered
7,698 Posts
If you live in Texas and drive a Spyder, where in the hell do you put the gun rack! I believe these cars just aren't good for icy conditions.

·
Registered
1,165 Posts
Really like the videos in your signature. Great looking turbo spyder!! Are you driving or your husband? If you let him drive it!
Most of the video is him driving. I do drive a lot though, there are some points in the highlight reels when it is me. There are more videos of me driving my old black spyder and my old mk2 turbo. I'm not so good in the turbo spyder, she is a beast.^_^

1 - 20 of 30 Posts