MR2 SpyderChat banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
3,596 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
We have a 3 car garage and the Spyder sleeps in the third bay which has a separate garage door opener.

When I work on the Spyder, I move it into the double bay and the garage door opener there is on a different frequency than the Spyder bay. I finally got around to a project I’ve wanted to do since I bought the car – put in a double frequency remote with dash mounted switches to control the remote(s). Here are the basics I started with. The model cars are just for inspiration :lol:

I soldered wires to the remote control's circuit board

Then put the remote back together

Then soldered the leads to the SPST mini rocker switches.

I left lots of wire in case I someday want to put the remote someplace else in the car.

Not pictured are the wires wrapped around the remote and bundled using Velcro straps that are also used to attach to the Velcro strip attached inside and under the dash.

Here is what the finished product looks like in the Spyder.

Now I can open either garage bay door using the dash mounted mini rocker switches. This set-up works great for me and I’m so glad I finally got around to doing this modification. If I want it to go back to stock, I just disconnect the wires, take out the dash blank that the switches are mounted on and put in a fresh blank – instant stock Spyder again. :lol:

·
Registered
782 Posts
Really great set up, I like it!!!!

·
Registered
1,445 Posts
Good job Uncle.

·
Registered
8,707 Posts
Very cool. When I had a gl1800 GW my garage remote was wired into the high beam switch. I like your solution for multiple remotes.

·
Registered
3,596 Posts
Discussion Starter #7 (Edited)
Your workbench is waaay too clean.
Truth be told, that is not my workbench (although I try to keep it clean). That is a space I cleared out on my desk to work. :lol:

It seems like cyclehead and I may shop at the same toy stores. I've got several die-cast Spyders. Pictured are the AutoArt and Kinsmart cars and not picutred are Jada and Ebbro cars. I love how you superimposed the "toy" cars with your TOYota Car. :lol:

Thanks for the kind comments, all. Much appreciated.

·
Registered
3,596 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Nice - I've been threatening to do this for a while! Where did you get the blanking plate from, please?
Purchased it from the Toyota Stealership -- cost was about 3-4 dollars. I don't think I have the part number any longer. If I can find it I will post it for you.

·
Registered
2,543 Posts
Nicely done! I like the house as well (I'd love to have a 3 car garage).

·
Premium Member
1,823 Posts
Nicely done! I like the house as well (I'd love to have a 3 car garage).
agree... i wish i had a 3 car garage...

i have been holding off doing this for a while... i need to get off my @$$ and do it soon since i hate having the remote clipped on my sun visor...

·
Registered
1,016 Posts

·
Registered
5,868 Posts
Garage door openers are more sophisticated than they used to be, thankfully.
Time was, a kid could cruise up & down the street with a remote and open almost everybody's.

Once upon a time, I devised a system that detected a car entering the driveway, sent a signal, and (if the proper acknowledgement was recieved) opened the garage door without the necessity of pushing any buttons. It wouldn't respond to requests that weren't in response to its querry. I was too lazy to actually build it, and now there is no real need for such a thing. A missed opportunity, perhaps.
Still, I think it would be cool.

Because I've posted this idea in a public forum, it is in the Public Domain, and those of you looking for a cheap pattent are thus thwarted. If you want to build and market such a device, I wish you luck. You just ain't gonna get a patent!

·
Registered
226 Posts
Good timing with this post. The adhesive on the Velcro that held my remote finely gave up. I was trying to think of a good mounting solution then this showed up.

I made the mod today. So simple and looks EOM.

Thanks Uncle Mush!

Mark

·
Registered
3,596 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
Good timing with this post. The adhesive on the Velcro that held my remote finely gave up. I was trying to think of a good mounting solution then this showed up.

I made the mod today. So simple and looks EOM.

Thanks Uncle Mush!

Mark
Thanks Mark. I am grateful to be able to contribute back to the community that has given and continues to give me so much help and support with my Spyder. :bow:

·
Registered
1,518 Posts
Looks great, I did a similar approach but mounted mine on the left side and used these small pushbuttons. Made it very hard to notice and kept a clean look.

1 - 17 of 17 Posts