MR2 SpyderChat banner
1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Anyone else with a 2zz swap have bad drone? We’re you able to fix it? How do I tell if it is intake drone or exhaust drone?

·
Registered
1,649 Posts
Drone can also be due to stiff motor mounts, especially if you have gone with aftermarket on the passenger-side mount. Note that the pass-side OEM mount is internally damped.

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Drone can also be due to stiff motor mounts, especially if you have gone with aftermarket on the passenger-side mount. Note that the pass-side OEM mount is internally damped.
Oh! This may be my issue - I have stock motor mounts but the front and rear have poly inserts. I will check. Thank you.

·
Registered
281 Posts
Stiffer motor mounts will definitely do it. I have enough exhaust drone to be annoying on long trips, earplugs solve that pretty easily. Short trips under an hour or so and it’s fine. Stock motor mounts here.

·
Registered
708 Posts
To me 'drone' is exhaust related vs engine vibration related. Here are some thoughts: I have 2zz, PPE header, PPE high flow cat and PPE dual exhaust and no drone. Although the car is not quiet and longer trips are hearing impairing. Hope that helps somewhat. Exhaust sound is a science. Companies spend huge money and effort to hide and create specific or perceived exhaust sound exuded through all scenarios (start up, idle, cruising - low / high RPM, WOT, etc.). After market exhaust systems might or might not pay attention to those things. Performance is the key for most aftermarket systems. All that said and incorporated into a system, it is difficult to determine what a mix and match system will sound/perform like. Putting the stock muffler with a PPE 2zz system means that your muffler is undersized (both tubing and likely volume) and that will limit performance which will very likely create pressure and sound waves which will effect the resulting sound. Add to that you are running a CAI which opens the intake system and related sounds all right next to your head... So you have several engine drone factors. I would get another muffler, sized to the PPE system. The CAI I would live with it or try to insulate the sound somewhat from reaching your head. I have a Cobb intake, Amsoil cone filter, and poly tubing directed/mounted between the battery and fire wall. No drone, but I can certainly hear it, especially WOT. Like a deeper raspy vacuum hose (no motor sound).
I have poly mounts front and rear and newer stock left and right. The poly mounts vibrate tons. These need to be modified so that the poly portion does not touch the actual mount. I used a grinder (dusty). While they are still rude vibration-wise compared to stock, the effect of sliming them down was big. The poly related vibration may vibrate panels which might create sound that might be considered a drone. Dynamat doors, fire wall and put foam in the little side compartments of the cubbies (that is some density for the sound to travel into).

·
Registered
281 Posts
By definition drone is

to make a sustained deep murmuring, humming, or buzzing sound

car people like to name exhaust drone as a source for annoying sounds but stiff motor mounts are for more annoying to my ears.

·
Registered
14 Posts
A Helmholtz resonator will likely solve your problem. Alex from Wilhelm Raceworks has a good blog post making one for his 2GR SW20, but the info could be useful for making a resonator for your 2zz exhaust. I have Alex's exhaust with the Helmholtz resonator on my 2GR SW20 and there is almost zero drone. Killing the Drone

·
Registered
11 Posts
Interior drone or exhaust drone? If exhaust you could add in a Vibrant Ultra Quiet Resonator. If interior drone it could be the mount inserts, the dash in my Matrix XRS vibrated with only the front insert, so I removed them.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts