MR2 SpyderChat banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
6,993 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I ordered a Deka etx9 from Apex Battery. I received a UPG utx9.

I contacted Apex Battery to see what happened. They replied that the two batteries are the same thing.

Indeed the specs appear to be identical, as are the physical dimensions, so this UPG may well be a rebadged Deka, but for one difference. I've had the Deka before, and it came sealed and filled. This UPG battery requires that I press some fluid-filled cells into it before use. It is apparently a one-time operation.

What do you guys think?
*Calling Dev...*

·
Registered
1,580 Posts
Alot of companies say they are selling etx9s but in fact they are only selling remanufactured or "compatible" versions of it. If it doesn't say Deka on the box and the battery doesn't have the Deka labeling etc, I would return it.

Your only saving $10 btw, doesn't seem worth it to me.

·
Registered
6,993 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Alot of companies say they are selling etx9s but in fact they are only selling remanufactured or "compatible" versions of it. If it doesn't say Deka on the box and the battery doesn't have the Deka labeling etc, I would return it.

Your only saving $10 btw, doesn't seem worth it to me.
I feel like I am stuck with it if I want to go to WSIR on Saturday. I was not expecting to order a Deka and get something else... What is a 'compatible' product, levi?

If anyone sees this thread and knows a place that sells batteries in Orange County, then I am all ears. I need to make a decision before end of work tomorrow: keep the battery, or buy something else locally and get a refund.

·
Registered
23,066 Posts
That's quiet odd I don't know what to make of it. I would stick with the Deka only because it is only one of the few battery houses that has a stellar reputation.

·
Registered
1,580 Posts
I feel like I am stuck with it if I want to go to WSIR on Saturday. I was not expecting to order a Deka and get something else... What is a 'compatible' product, levi?

If anyone sees this thread and knows a place that sells batteries in Orange County, then I am all ears. I need to make a decision before end of work tomorrow: keep the battery, or buy something else locally and get a refund.
You can buy Dekas at some Advance Auto stores. Call some stores up and check.

A "compatible product" is one where a company builds or buys a product to match the exact specs of another product. Basically a replica.

·
Registered
6,993 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
I believe I am stuck. Here is what I bought.

There is some language that might suggest I am purchasing a 'compatible' battery and, of course, there is the very small picture of a battery that doesn't appear to be a Deka at all. Considering that the second largest text on the page, which is in bold-face font, says 'Deka etx9", and the specs are specifically identified to be for the same, I think this is clearly a misleading advertisement that is intentionally deceptive and confusing. It is ultimately my fault, as I should have read the page more extensively. At any case, this deceptive practice has cost APEX BATTERY any future sales to me and, I hope, and future sales that might have been made to any visitor of this thread.

Thanks for your input.

·
Registered
1,580 Posts
Reading their site I see,

http://www.apexbattery.com/our-guarantee.html
Money Back Guarantee

We will accept returns and provide a “no questions asked” money back guarantee within 30 days of receipt of purchase. If you are not 100% satisfied with your purchase please contact one of our friendly and knowledgeable reps from 6am-7pm PST toll free 855-888-APEX

I don't see why you can't return it.

·
Registered
4,120 Posts
I would return it. That's definitely a cheap chinese knockoff. Looks like the battery I use in my scooter and its been replaced 2x already. You ordered a Deka get the Deka. I'm using one right now in my car and its now three years on it.

·
Registered
6,993 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Reading their site I see,

http://www.apexbattery.com/our-guarantee.html
Money Back Guarantee

We will accept returns and provide a “no questions asked” money back guarantee within 30 days of receipt of purchase. If you are not 100% satisfied with your purchase please contact one of our friendly and knowledgeable reps from 6am-7pm PST toll free 855-888-APEX

I don't see why you can't return it.
Heh, I guess I will just use it for the weekend then return it. Shipping will no doubt be on my dime.

·
Registered
6,993 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Update! The battery doesn't even hold a charge.

Please. Avoid. www.apexbattery.com

Will edit post of they actually honor 30-day money back.

·
Registered
4,120 Posts
Yeah those battery are crap. They are spotty at best.

·
Registered
6,993 Posts
Discussion Starter #12 (Edited)
Update.
They are going to issue a refund. They instructed me to dispose of the battery, and I will not incur shipping charges to return it.

·
Registered
6,993 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
EDIT: Found a Deka etx9 locally for $70. This place sells the Odyssey PC545 for $109. Both are very good prices.
Emergent Battery Technologies, located in Anaheim. 714 414 0909. They brought the Deka for me from Temecula on super short notice. Good people.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts