MR2 SpyderChat banner

Dev's Snap On cloth frunk cover

12K views 107 replies 35 participants last post by  pwnzor 
#1 ·
Does anyone know how to get in touch with Dev to find out if he is still selling the cloth snap on
frunk covers?
Thanks

#3 ·
I bought the last one before he discontinued them. I was speaking to what must have either been a friend or employee of his when I tried to order the rear bin covers as well and he gave me a little write up on how to do it.

"As far as the rear bin cover you can get everything you need at Joann fabrics. You need to purchase
1. Black duck cloth
2. Dirtz snaps Black size 24 5/8
3. Self drilling screws #6x 3/8in
4. Black seam tape for the edges.

What you have to do is remove both your rear bin doors and lay them on a carpeted floor. Take the black duck cloth and lay it on top of the doors. Take some sheers and cut around the top. Make sure to leave about an inch of extra material on the bottom so you can tuck it in. Once that is done you need to use pins to hold in the seams. Then you will need a sewing machine to sew in the seam as you remove the pins as you go along. "

I'm sure the process is the same for the front bin

#4 ·
I’m the seamstress for the forum. I make small upholstered pieces (albeit slowly). Here
I enjoy new projects though. I could make some of these, especially if there’s sufficient interest to warrant investing the time and money in developing patterns and ordering materials.

#10 ·
Who wants to help develop these? I’d prefer to attach with something other than sheet metal screws through my frunk plastics. The flange on the spare tire bin is hopeless (flimsy ears all break off). I’m toying with a way to attach using the remnants of ten original hinge and latch.
Hand Tire Automotive tire Bicycle tire Wheel

Hood Light Automotive tire Bumper Finger

#12 ·
Thanks to Dev’s idea, and Pwnzor for helping brainstorm design options with me all day today…. I have finished a prototype spare tire bin cover. It doesn’t require any additional holes in the plastics. It attaches to the original hinge and latch points. It will be super quick to open and close, even easier than snaps! I used vinyl material so it will be waterproof.
It’s getting a road test this weekend so I’ll see if there are any surprises. Pictures coming …. as soon as I get back to my phone.

#13 ·
Thanks to Dev’s idea, and Pwnzor for helping brainstorm design options with me all day today…. I have finished a prototype spare tire bin cover. It doesn’t require any additional holes in the plastics. It attaches to the original hinge and latch points. It will be super quick to open and close, even easier than snaps! I used vinyl material so it will be waterproof.
It’s getting a road test this weekend so I’ll see if there are any surprises. Pictures coming …. as soon as I get back to my phone.
CH - you are the man!! I did not want to mention you by name so I'm glad you picked this up. My thoughts were the Velcro Alfa-Lok if the latch idea doesn't work.

#19 ·
#23 ·
All set on the rear bins personally.
No, no, no.... you're supposed to say "I really would like to see a set of soft cover for my luggage bins."

See, that's what you should say. That's what everybody should say, because I want a set, and if a bunch of people don't want them, then they are less likely to be made.

So, everybody now, in unison - "WE WANT LUGGAGE BIN COVERS"

🙏🙏🙏🙏🙏🙏🙏🙏🙏🙏

#27 ·
I’m curious, for the storage bin covers, how do you envision using them? Permanently attached at the bottom? Snaps at the top to allow access? Vertical split at the center that you could reach through? Or one solid piece all the way across? Velcro attachments? Zipper in the middle?

#28 ·
I think ideally (from a usage, NOT design standpoint) it would be permanently (or semi permanently) attached at the bottom, open from the top, & have the ability to only open one half at a time (IMHO velcro is more durable but a zipper is more aestheticly pleasing) so you don't have to fold down both seats to remove all top attachments to obtain easy access to just one half.

Bonus points for embroidering a screaming chicken emblem...ok, now I really am asking for wayyyy too much [emoji854]

#30 ·
OK, now we're getting somewhere.

I was thinking zipper. Two zippers that meet at the top center. You could unzip either side, opening the flap on the diagonal, place your fitted luggage inside, then zip it back up. OR, if you wanted to put a golf bag in there you unzip both and the whole flap comes down.

Embroidered with one large screaming chicken right in the middle of course.

#32 ·
I’m working on a small batch of spare-bin covers now. I’m expecting $90 total price. Shipping likely about $20 in USA. Embroidered chicken logo about $30 extra. Bespoke embroidery may be possible. I’m trying to make them look really nice!

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.