MR2 SpyderChat banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
73 Posts
The difference is between 00-02 and 03-05. The older lights are reflector based housings that scatter light everywhere and the newer ones are projector based housings that focus the light in specific places.

The newer ones do the job better but the older ones look cooler. :p

·
Registered
75 Posts
There is a lot of information here on the threads about the pre-facelift and facelift parts, the differences between them, and installation instructions. Please use search.

To make it easier, I sometimes just use Google with either "[query] spyderchat" or ""[query]" site:spyderchat.com

Toyota added a projector lens to the headlight assembly on the later models.

·
Registered
526 Posts
^^^^^^sounds good to me..... Wonder why the never decided to do the black housing on 03+. I've seen it on a couple cars & IMO it looks sweet.

·
Registered
73 Posts
You can buy 03+ headlights with black housings from the performance division (no affiliation). They look a lot better to me than the bling chromed factory ones, but IMO the projector still makes them look strange to me. The earlier lights with round reflectors and plastic covers look like a classic roadster design (old ferraris and jaguars come to mind) while the projectors deform the light and make it look like it grew a tumor.

·
Registered
22,970 Posts
You can buy 03+ headlights with black housings from the performance division (no affiliation). They look a lot better to me than the bling chromed factory ones, but IMO the projector still makes them look strange to me. The earlier lights with round reflectors and plastic covers look like a classic roadster design (old ferraris and jaguars come to mind) while the projectors deform the light and make it look like it grew a tumor.
Good description, I agree . The classic roadster look makes it look distinguished and not cyborg looking

·
Registered
10,033 Posts
People have had a tough time with that company lately.

·
Registered
23 Posts
Where to get replacement 02 headlights

My 02 headlights are yellowed and spidercracked. It looks like there are a lot of products that clean it up but only lasts for 1 -3 months. My body shop even did the process but did not charge me as they were unhappy with it. I may just want to replace them. Where should i buy 02 headlight assemblies from? I see a few sites, but the diagram looks like 20 parts all going together. Can I just get the whole assembly, take out the old, and put in the new? WHere from? Thanks yall.

·
Registered
797 Posts
My 02 headlights are yellowed and spidercracked. It looks like there are a lot of products that clean it up but only lasts for 1 -3 months. My body shop even did the process but did not charge me as they were unhappy with it. I may just want to replace them. Where should i buy 02 headlight assemblies from? I see a few sites, but the diagram looks like 20 parts all going together. Can I just get the whole assembly, take out the old, and put in the new? WHere from? Thanks yall.
You can get the lens and housing from https://www.1sttoyotaparts.com/catalogs.html. $148.61 each plus shipping.

·
Registered
5,836 Posts
No one has mentioned this, although it is the most obvious difference.
The early car's headlights have a black (dark gray, actually) surround under the clear cover.
Later cars (2003 and beyond) have a chrome-look surround, and unsightly bulges.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts