MR2 SpyderChat banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
42 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I've been lurking the forums for a while and found a potential prospect I might take for a drive tomorrow. but I have a question about spotting the differences in 1zz and 2zz engines. I want to be able to confirm it does in fact have a 2zz and not a 1zz... How would one go about doing this? Tried google and searching the forums but I don't think it's come up? lol.

·
Registered
698 Posts
Isn't the intake for the 2zz near the rear of the car? And on the 1zz it's towards the front?

·
Registered
802 Posts
Isn't the intake for the 2zz near the rear of the car? And on the 1zz it's towards the front?
I heard that some 2zz throttle bodies are angled, some are not. Depends on donor car.

·
Spyderchat Enthusiast
2,873 Posts
You can look for the triangular swap bridge mount on the passenger side of the motor which connects the engine to the motor mount when a 2zz is installed. When you drive it and it hits 6.3K the 2zz should go into lift. All hell breaks loose and it revs to at least 8K. The 1zz does not have that surge. Just a steady pull up over 7K. Also 2zz swap requires headers. If it has a stock looking manifold then it is almost certainly not a 2zz.

Many 2zz have a PFC installed and will engage lift at lower RPM. Ask what ECU it is using. Should be PFC or 2000-2001 Celica GTS. If the guy cannot tell you then I would steer clear.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.