MR2 SpyderChat banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
28 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Ok I've searched the forums and I'm not finding anything to answer my question. I am in the middle of replacing my 1zz with a reman due to engine failure (rod bearing most likely) at 60k miles.

There is a mysterious wire coming off the oil dipstick tube, right about in the middle, just a single wire. It was cut at some point before we got it so I have no clue where it goes to or what it's for and I can't find a parts diagram that shows it. Any ideas?

PS... regarding the engine failure, when we took the exhaust header off we discovered one of the precats is still intact but the other one has gutted itself...which explains the engine failure. lol

The one in question is circled in yellow. As a side-note, the one circled in red looks like it has a white plastic clip of some sort broken on it. If anyone can shed some light on what these are I would really appreciate it! Thank you!

·
Registered
937 Posts
off topic question...

but did the 03+ years dip stick gauge change (to a flater version) or is it the same sloppy wound up wire ones like the 00-02s?

·
Registered
937 Posts
the 03-05 is still crappy. I just pulled the stick on an 02 at a dealer this weekend checking it out and it looked no less crappy than my 04 indicator.

oh that sucks. a flater version woulda been so much nicer.

thanks.

·
Registered
28 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Sorry

the BGB (Big Green Book) is the Toyota service manual for the MR2 spyder. They were issued for each model year and are very helpful in doing things on your car. would highly recommend you find one either at Mr. T or ebay. Don't worry about year too much. I have an 03 copy for my 04 and an 02 digital copy which I use more as it is search able and easier to find needed info.
Ahhh got ya. I'll look for one. Meanwhile, maybe you can answer yet another question regarding the ocv... original engine is a 2000, new reman came out of a 03+ celica gt. I'm seeing on some of the posts here that they may be different. Not only that but I'm wondering if I should replace the original anyway since the motor had metal in the oil? Thanks again!

·
Registered
28 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
are you saying that your replacement engine had metal in the oil?

I am now seeing the term "reman" is this slang for rebuilt?
Sorry for the confusion... I see I didn't word my post very well lol. The reman came with it's own OCV but the electrical connector is broke off. The OCV from the original engine is intact but I don't feel safe using it since the OLD engine has metal in the oil.

Reman means remanufactured to factory specs and tolerances, completely sealed long block with a warranty from KHEngines out of Cali.

·
Registered
28 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
when I read
"remanufactured to factory specs and tolerances"
I do not expect the OCV valve placed on that engine to be defective.
No the one that came with the reman engine shouldn't be defective but since the electrical connector is broke off it's useless.... I probably failed to mention that before lol, my bad.

Can I ask how much is such an engine? To solve your problem just get a new OCV you have invested enough where not doing that is silly.
We paid $2005 with shipping. Great company to deal with, they called me to ask if we were installing it ourselves and to make sure we knew to be very careful when swapping parts over, to use the correct bolts in the correct places, etc. I've got a message in to them now to find out of they will replace that OCV, if not then I'll go ahead and buy one - agreeing with you on the investment. ;)

·
Registered
4,128 Posts
The one in yellow looks like the knock sensor wire and the red one looks like the one that plugs into the timing chain cover which I think T-bone already said. That one has a small clip that hold on to the dipstick tube. Hope that helps.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts