MR2 SpyderChat banner
1 - 20 of 130 Posts

·
Registered
354 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello Everyone. I want to disable the DRLs on my 03 spyder and Can't find it anywhere here. Does anyone know how to Without Having to mess with 'brake' light (or breaking the bulb or taking it out or covering it or turning on other lights or any other indirect ways)

I've notice a lot of you guys feel insecure about not having DRLs but I feel like its a waste of fuel. They are dim, they burn the bulb fast, Yellow light looks ugly, and I feel like turning on something brighter is more effective like regular headlights, and I also need control over (like being invisible at night thanks to my spyder's black color).

The 02 and early spyders have a yellow and red wire that could be cut but 03+ have something else going on...

I would love any feedback guys. Thanks

·
Registered
354 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Keep searching.
It's on here several times.
Dipsticks abound, and ask often.
OH i've searched. Many links give an error. I am unable to open em. Most of these links were posted more than 7 years ago. Maybe thats why. Thanks for your input OldMan. Your posts have been very Helpful ^_^

·
Registered
5,873 Posts
OH i've searched. Many links give an error. I am unable to open em. Most of these links were posted more than 7 years ago. Maybe thats why. Thanks for your input OldMan. Your posts have been very Helpful ^_^
I'm happy to help members with legitimate problems.
Disabling the DRLs is not one of them.

·
Registered
354 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 · (Edited)
http://www.mr2roc.org/phpBB3/viewtopic.php?f=11&t=18695&p=231304

"The DRL system is quite complex and controlled by a relay which appears as a blank box on the diagram, so it's difficult to be completely certain that some ways of killing them won't have other side effects. There are two fuses imaginatively called DRL No 1 and DRL No 2, both located in the box to the left of the engine compartment. Removing no 1 is your best bet, I wouldn't touch no 2 as I think that will stop high beam working. Two other items are possible, as the DRL only come on with the parking brake off and the engine running.

1. Disconnect the generator signal (you need to do this at the relay to avoid upsetting the charge lamp and other engine management functions). It's located behind the instruments and looks an absolute b*****r to reach. It’s the yellow wire on terminal 9.

2. Fool the park brake switch that the brakes on all the time which you do by shorting the input wire to ground. It's located by the handbrake lever, disconnect the black/white wire and connect it to the car body. Unfortunately, it looks like this also has an influence on the high/low beam relay. For this reason I’d prefer method no.1

I'm a bit hesitant about this for the reasons in the first sentence, also I spent 3 hours unsuccessfully trying to fix a similar "dim-dip" relay on a Nissan Sunny, so I know it's a tricky circuit. "

" I'd be interested to see another copy of the electrical diagram for the headlamps, because I think there is a mistake in my copy. The wire from the main DRL relay pin 1 (terminal id "DRL") is shown going to the live side of the DRL 4 relay. In fact I'm almost certain that it should go to the NO contact on DRL no 2. The circuit for the DRL operation is then H-LP relay closed and DRL 4 open so that current flows through the DRL 2 relay, through the dip and main beams in series and to ground through the DRL relay pin 1.

So I think the best way to disable the DRL is to cut the wire from DRL relay pin 1 to the NO contact on DRL no 2. This is most accesable where it passes through the connector joining the two looms behind the left hand kick panel (connector 1B1 - pin 6). On the diagram this is shown as Red/Yellow, but I'm not sure if this is correct as it would join a Red/Black wire at the DRL no 2 relay. Different colour wires do not normally join in this way. "

This Information is for 02 and before but it maybe of some help. Obviously, DRL is complicated.

·
Registered
490 Posts
Safety feature? I'd love to know how many accidents have prevented by DRL's. People on this site act like it's taking out the seat belts.

·
Registered
490 Posts
http://www.tundraheadquarters.com/blog/2010/09/03/daytime-running-lights-safety/

NHTSA’s most recent study finds no significant benefit to daytime running lights. It’s a little hard to track down, but NHTSA technical report HS 811 029 states:
This is the third statistical analysis conducted by NHTSA to evaluate the effectiveness of daytime running lights (DRLs)…the analysis found that DRLs have no statistically significant overall effects
NHTSA’s study did find that daytime running lights reduced light truck crashes about 5%, but otherwise they had no statistically significant impact on safety.

·
Registered
729 Posts
daytime running lights reduced light truck crashes about 5%, but otherwise they had no statistically significant impact on safety.
A "light truck crash" involving a spyder...
...are you an organ donor? Btw if there was a 5% chance to win the lotto I would play every day

·
Registered
490 Posts
read that again, more carefully. :icon_rolleyes:
Go ahead and explain what you're getting at. I think the OP was speaking tongue-in-cheek regarding being 'invisible', but there are times when it's advantageous to be able to turn your lights completely off(approaching a military base before dawn for example.)

Your quote still doesn't show a situation where an accident was prevented.

·
Registered
1,016 Posts

·
Registered
578 Posts
Go ahead and explain what you're getting at. I think the OP was speaking tongue-in-cheek regarding being 'invisible', but there are times when it's advantageous to be able to turn your lights completely off(approaching a military base before dawn for example.)

Your quote still doesn't show a situation where an accident was prevented.
Tell you what, you count all the babies that weren't born last year because condoms were worn.
All the people that didn't drown in swimming pools because there were fences around them.
All the airplanes that didn't crash into radio towers because those have flashing beacons.
And all the stupid interweb arguments that didn't happen because someone used their common f-ing sense.

And I'll count all the car accidents that didn't happen because of DRL's.

1 - 20 of 130 Posts