MR2 SpyderChat banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
MRS/Spyder 2ZZ
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
No one !! Seems like Miata boys are kicking our asses on this one. They are all over it and I'm too stupid to figure it out myself.

·
Registered
1,171 Posts
It looks fairly simple since its an Arduino based system but my concern would be reliability. A big issue for me is the site is calling the microcontroller an Arduino Mega 2560 instead of an Atmel ATmega2560 which brings some doubts into the actual firmware application.

·
Registered
1,450 Posts
Are there any cars in Australia that run the factory ecm? Is it an option to be able to buy a brand new car from the dealer there without an ECM Because they know you will just go stand-alone anyway?

·
Registered
1,687 Posts
I just heard of it 2 weeks ago from a Miata owner. Being totally open source sounds great for control over what the engine does, but I worry about reliability.

·
Registered
1,067 Posts
I run an Arduino for intercooler pump control and engine protection. I am an Eletrical Engineer and I would NEVER use an Arduino for actual engine control. Way too flakey, noisy analogs, poor channel isolation on inputs and outputs.

In the words of Takumi, using an Arduino for fuel or ignition would be "Engineblow!?".

There are reasons Megasquirt costs what it does.

·
Registered
MRS/Spyder 2ZZ
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Are there any cars in Australia that run the factory ecm? Is it an option to be able to buy a brand new car from the dealer there without an ECM Because they know you will just go stand-alone anyway?
HaHa. But you of all people should know hailing from Canada I'm in New Zealand.

·
Registered
MR-2 ZZW30 2001 RHD
34 Posts
I run an Arduino for intercooler pump control and engine protection. I am an Eletrical Engineer and I would NEVER use an Arduino for actual engine control. Way too flakey, noisy analogs, poor channel isolation on inputs and outputs.

There are reasons Megasquirt costs what it does.
I would not compare Megasquirt and Arduino based on cost.
The hardware design of the Megasquirt is also mediocre at best, with D-sub connectors and stacking of multiple boards.
The Freescale MCU in the MS-3 is also over a decade old now and the platform is only maintained, not really developed.
It is also not fully open source as the latest firmware releases are binary only (no source release in a long time).
The hardware design for the MS3Pro is much better, but at that price there are much better choices available.

As for speeduino:
Noisy analog channels will not keep you from running an engine, channel isolation is not an issue on digital inputs/outputs.
The speeduino code base also supports Freescale / NXP MCUs (Teensy boards) and ST STM32 MCUs, so if you are not a fan of the AVR you can use another MCU.
If you want to put a Speeduino in a spyder, you need something to talk to the Toyota BEAN network in the car.
Marc has a board available for this: MR2 Spyder Body Controller / Junction Box — Frankenstein Motorworks

Biggest question for me is: what are the gains on a 1ZZ-FE from a tune?
I am perfectly happy with my unmodded 1ZZ-FE and stock tune.
If I decide to upgrade I will ditch the 1ZZ-FE for something else entirely (K24 most likely).
At that point I would run a reflashed Honda ECU or something more decent stand-alone ECU like a Haltech.

On the Miata there are a few reasons why the speeduino is so popular:
1. It is very easy to turbo charge the engine
2. The NA / NB chassis are very simple so you can run aftermarket ECUs without issues
3. The stock ECU cannot be flashed
4. Miatas are cheap and plenty of them around
5. Speeduino is the cheapest option for engine management

·
Registered
1,745 Posts
The more complex an Arduino project gets the less I like using it. It's slow, lacks interrupts, and I swear I'm always on the edge of bricking each project (constantly having to reburn the bootloader). Maybe I should be using Teensy or better hardware?

Something about having it in the car just ups the difficulty for me. Noise from the car screws with timing functions (ie. FastLED) and I get strange floating pin type behavior that I have to work around. I suppose if you built the hardware from scratch it would be more reliable?

·
Registered
1,687 Posts
If I decide to upgrade I will ditch the 1ZZ-FE for something else entirely (K24 most likely).
This is basically why people don't really mess with engine management on these cars, the 2ZZ swap is just too easy. A standalone or piggyback on a 2ZZ is a good chunk of a change, but any kind of 2ZZ modification is expensive compared to modding a K20, so you might as well step up to the K20/24 first.

·
Registered
MRS/Spyder 2ZZ
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
This is basically why people don't really mess with engine management on these cars, the 2ZZ swap is just too easy. A standalone or piggyback on a 2ZZ is a good chunk of a change, but any kind of 2ZZ modification is expensive compared to modding a K20, so you might as well step up to the K20/24 first.
I tend to agree Im in the process of doing a 2ZZ swap. I raced the MRS/Spyder with the 1ZZ in a production class other the cat delete and extractors it was relatively standard any minor modifications yeilded little improvement short of going to forced induction. The reason I originally started this post was probably the only major changes I'll make to the 2ZZ is ECU. looking at what's available in this part of the world a K swap makes good sense.

·
Registered
233 Posts
To me, tune with standalone does not worth it.
Engine is little bit more torquey on low rpm and more reactive on slight throttle. No need to push far gas pedal to feel car's moving.
By exaggerating, it's like having C64 gearbox swap. On every gear, engine move effortless with small throttle push.

It's all. Nothing that change the 1ZZ-FED's caracter.
It only worth if you want to race against more powerfull car (210hp car's).

--------------

2ZZ swap... If you do cheap 2ZZ swap like somes (CAI, Header, exhaust and gearbox), the 2ZZ will no worth it.
C64 transmission itself is the main thing that make the 2ZZ interesting.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts