MR2 SpyderChat banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
2003 Mr2 2zz hardtop
28 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Whats up everyone. I know its been posted 1000x someones always looking for different or better looking headlights, and other than the laughable $2,000 Novus headlights from Midship Garage or the $1,200-1,600+ From HIDRetroFit's there no support for our cars. As much as we wish we got some aftermarket lights as these cars age then chance goes down exponentially. So in my fashion, crack open the tool box and make my own! Prefacing the write up, This is my third set of retrofits, I've done the absolute cheapest set on my FJ for the first ones, and then failed instantly, the solenoids stuck on high beams within a day, then I went to a kit from The Retrofit Source and went with Morimoto's Mini H1 7.0's and they turned out fantastic, but left something to be desired with actual Output. So I tried something new, I started with a set of amazon 3" Bi-Led Projectors From a company called YUFANYA for 159 that ended up sending me the wrong projector 2 times and finally sent the right ones after over a month of waiting, I later found the exact same ones on Aliexpress for under $100. In the mean time while waiting for shipping from china, I sourced a set of used PFL housings Locally for $100, they weren't the best, yellowed but in good shape. Then to finish it all up I got a set of Morimoto Panamera 2.0 DRL/Switchback shrouds for $60.
Disassembly and the actual build is pretty easy. Just remove your screws that hold the lens, remove all bulbs, and bake them at 210-220 for 8-10 minutes. Pull them out and be GENTLE with the clips that hold the lens down as they are nearly 20 year old housings, so they can be brittle. Once their open its a pretty simple install, just add your backing plate into the bulb holder, mount the projector and solder up your wiring. I personally used some junk led's and just cut connectors off and stripped them for pigtails. After soldering the pigtails and getting everything mounted, take the car to a flat parking lot with a good wall to level and aim the projectors before your final bake and reinstallation of the lenses. I did also make a Youtube video that shows how to do it yourself.

If Anyone has any questions, or would like help building their own. Please feel free to reach out, Id be glad to help. Go check out the video!

·
Registered
1,625 Posts
Panamera shrouds look good in the Spyder. Our cars need help filling out the empty space and those shrouds do it well (I have Apollo but was debating Panamera at the time). Nice work.

·
Registered
325 Posts
I have E-55r shrouds. Blacked out everything. Just prefer simple. Converted the turn signal housing to be a drl bulb and halo turn signal.

·
Registered
122 Posts
This is on my list for mods. I built my focus st headlights and have heard the spyder is super easy to mod.

·
Registered
122 Posts
How bright are the led projectors vs like a d2s projector kit from the retrofit source? It looks like you could get a pretty massive projector in there. Also it seems like there would be an easier way to get those pigtails than just sacrificing a whole led set.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts