MR2 SpyderChat banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
7,058 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have a Unichip and I want to lend it to someone for a week. I will help with install/uninstall. If you meet the qualifications below and want to borrow this then PM me.

Qualifications:
1. must live in San Diego, Orange County, or Los Angeles.
2. Must be a very active member here, and familiar to me.
3. Must have an aftermarket header and catback. Bonus points if you have no cat. Bonus points if you are running the PPE setup.

Story:
I bought this from a member here. It's supposedly tuned for H/I/E. After installing it, my motor stalls at idle, and cuts out temporarily at higher engine speeds. I need to figure out if it's an issue with the Unichip or my car. My car runs fine without it.

I tried contacting Unichip for help, but they will not respond to me.

Disclaimer:
You may experience the same issues as me. It won't leave you stranded, but it will be annoying to deal with. The unit can be installed and uninstalled in minutes. The good news is, if the chip works for you then you get to enjoy a more powerful Spyder for a week! Yay!

·
Registered
3,472 Posts
Why not go get it tuned to your setup? It's not that expensive for NA bolt-ons. Probably an hour charge. You just have to find someone that does it. I got my tune at Church, which is pretty close to you, but I don't know if he does Unichip.

·
Registered
1,115 Posts
If you wanted to swap your unichip wth mine we'd have to meet somewhere on the weekend. Also this can be done at he April 28 SoCal meet.

·
Registered
1,415 Posts
i bought mine used here also only one map works on mine it wont start on map b but map a for high octane works great with nice gains only problem now is i need newts 250 a gallon gas to make it economical for daily use lol

·
Registered
7,058 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Why not go get it tuned to your setup? It's not that expensive for NA bolt-ons. Probably an hour charge. You just have to find someone that does it. I got my tune at Church, which is pretty close to you, but I don't know if he does Unichip.
I don't know if it is a tune issue, or an electrical connection issue, or an issue with my car. I may pay for a tune only to find out the Unichip is no good. Also, last I heard Church no longer tunes the Unichip. Shame.

im located in san diego. PM me. i have weapon r intake which is almost exactly like the PPE intake. i have TRD header, stock cat downpipe and team moon dual exhaust.
Thanks!
I'll contact you if I can't work something out with Im_In_San_Fran. He's a little closer.

If you wanted to swap your unichip wth mine we'd have to meet somewhere on the weekend. Also this can be done at he April 28 SoCal meet.
My Spyder isn't street legal, so swapping it--while a good idea-- isn't feasible because I couldn't test it on my car. However, since you are currently using a Unichip your car is a good testbed. Let's meet up for lunch somewhere. Know any good places in LA? I'll PM you with my number.

·
Registered
1,115 Posts
Also, last I heard Church no longer tunes the Unichip. Shame.
My investigation into tuners was long and has almost finished, chronicled in thread: http://spyderchat.com/forums/showthread.php?39280-Unichip-Woes&p=805465&highlight=#post805465

Conclusion:

No longer doing tuning:

Still saying they will tune:

S & S Motorworks - (909) 392-8402 141 - W Foothill Blvd Ste B, Pomona, CA 91767
  • Almost got me in.
  • Their Dyno broke and will not be ready till the new year.
  • So yes it seems to take half a year to get a unichip tuner....
San Deigo - http://www.thedynoshop.com/
  • Never tried talking to them.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts