MR2 SpyderChat banner
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
221 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I wanted to get my center console wrapped in Carbon fiber and was wondering if someone here does a good job at molding/wraping. If so p.m me and we can work out the details. Thanks in advance.

·
Registered
30 Posts
I'm going to wrap my console in a couple of weeks.
Should be -- a lot -- easier than the side vents.

Give it a try, it's not brain surgery.
You can always peel it off if you're not satisfied.

·
Registered
5,873 Posts
I have a long-standing question, and this is as good a place as any to ask it.

Years ago, I built some small (bookshelf) speaker enclosures out of plywood. They weren't worth veniering, so I applied plastic "shelf lining paper" with a walnut grain pattern. Over the years, the plastic shrunk, leaving an adhesive residue between the current edge and the original edge.

What little I've read about carbon fibre wrapping material makes it sound much the same as the shelf lining plastic I used so long ago. So, does carbon fibre wrapping material shrink with age or exposure to heat?

·
Registered
1,705 Posts
There's a shop in AZ that does cf work for the Elise. I can't recall the prices atm but there was only like a $75 difference between having them wrap and clear coat it vs having make a real one.

·
Registered
7,661 Posts

Years ago, I built some small (bookshelf) speaker enclosures out of plywood. They weren't worth veniering, so I applied plastic "shelf lining paper" with a walnut grain pattern. Over the years, the plastic shrunk, leaving an adhesive residue between the current edge and the original edge.

What little I've read about carbon fibre wrapping material makes it sound much the same as the shelf lining plastic I used so long ago. So, does carbon fibre wrapping material shrink with age or exposure to heat?
If wrapping with a vinyl, it could possibly turn out the same, but the new 3m di-noc has had good results in wrapping.

If doing a CF wrap with actual carbon fiber material and resin, then it won't shrink. I've done it on stuff before, and have experience working with cf and fiberglass, although I prefer to do it for myself and don't really take on jobs for other people.

I'm currently drunk and if the above comes out as misconstrued or the like, I apologize and may try to further compound on my answer tomorrow.

·
Registered
384 Posts
how'd you go, did you try it yourself, im looking at doing centre console and heater surrounds!!

·
Registered
553 Posts
Vinyl wraps are good for a long time. Only issue you will have is color fade. My friends shop has a car there that's been wrapped for 3 years and it looks good still.

Real carbon fiber issues will be bulkiness in appearance/if using a poor weave then it looks like dodo/inexperience around curves makes it look like dodo.

Hydro carbon is another option. Again results depends on the weave of the meterial.

·
Registered
384 Posts
the parts im wrapping are spares so if they look like dodo ill just throw them :D

·
Registered
339 Posts

·
Banned
415 Posts

Wanted to ask the same question. The whole process of wrapping involves heating it to expand and contract to fit perfectly to curved surfaces. And if I park my car on a sunny summer day, the inside of the car gets... not sure if it's to a point it would warp the wrapping, but it does get quite a bit hot. I'm sure you would have to garage your car at least if you're going to do the wrapping.

·
Registered
553 Posts
Wanted to ask the same question. The whole process of wrapping involves heating it to expand and contract to fit perfectly to curved surfaces. And if I park my car on a sunny summer day, the inside of the car gets... not sure if it's to a point it would warp the wrapping, but it does get quite a bit hot. I'm sure you would have to garage your car at least if you're going to do the wrapping.

Depends on your prep. If you did a good job and prep was done properly everything should be ok.

·
Registered
3,033 Posts
All depends on if you know what you're doing. Layers of carbon, the quality, twill, the quality of the epoxy resin. Are you going to wrap or produce a mold. Producing a mold is time consuming and expensive and not worth it for small units.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts