MR2 SpyderChat banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
2,851 Posts
Every fuel up, like in any other car, its not just about what you burn but possibly catching a leak before it destroys your engine, or paying attention to how it looks throughout its lifetime. Takes only a few seconds and its a great time to check your other fluids too, be responsible especially if you're like most normal human beings and like to drive it "briskly". Trust a guy who knows too much about fixing MR2s.

-Spargo

PS if you're still stuck on finding how much it burns its going to depend on your car, how many miles it has, and how it was treated during them.

·
Registered
7,777 Posts
Every fuel up, like in any other car
I've always considered that the worst time to check oil, as much of it is still making its way back to the pan and won't show on the dipstick. "Before you start it up on Saturday" (or whenever) is a great time.

·
Registered
105 Posts
I had an '01 Honda Prelude and it burned a quart every 2k mile. According to everything I read, that was normal. My Spyder doesn't burn enough to add any between 5,000 mile changes.

·
Registered
7,777 Posts
Seems to me that until they invent frictionless rings, every engine burns some oil.
My 1ZZ is net down about 2 ounces every 4000 miles. I figure that's about perfect. Time to sell.

"Broken" is considered more than one quart every 1000 miles.

I remember my first car, so long ago.... school was 110 miles from home. I'd reach the dorm and throw a quart in to replace what was lost on the trip. Good times.

·
Registered
199 Posts
Just wondering how often I need to check my oil.

Jimmy
The amount of oil that your engine burns varies from one engine to the next depending on the condition of the engine, driving style, type and viscosity of oil used, etc. 00-02 Spyder are more prone to burning oil due to the potential issues with oval-bore syndrome and precats. However, my 01 Spyder does not burn any noticeable amount of oil between oil changes. Regardless, I still check my oil AT LEAST once a week in any car that I drive because you never know when an oil leak or other problem might have sprung up causing you to rapidly lose oil.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts