MR2 SpyderChat banner
681 - 700 of 713 Posts

·
Registered
2000 - Stock
75 Posts
Just got my bushings installed and took the car for a quick spin.

I need more seat time to really dive in on the nuances of the effects but it is immediately clear these bushings make an impact.

Simply put the car feels more solid. Not because rattles were reduced (if anything I noticed some new ones) but because of an increased sense of rigidity front to rear. My first impression is that this increased rigidity translates, for me personally, to more confidence in corners. Loading the suspension feels more predictable.

My suspension is stock at 70k miles and the increased chassis stiffness almost makes it feel more like the weak link in terms of dynamics. I am okay with this because I plan to refresh the suspension soon.

I am sure this has been discussed but from a mechanical standpoint, I can understand an increase in bending stiffness with these bushings. An increase in torsional rigidity seems more questionable to me. Either way I am both fascinated and thrilled.

I was inspired by Node's use of the Teflon tape but wanted to also find a tape that would allow me to cover and still read the factory door jamb sticker. I purchased this rather expensive roll of "ultra high molecular weight" polyethylene tape. It is pretty low friction and also translucent. I ordered 2" wide, 10mil thick. Its a good way to shim the bushings as well.

Here are some pictures. My car is silver so you can hardly see it and the bushings slide nicely on the tape so far. You can clealy read the sticker as well. Time will tell but the tape seems quite robust.

Passenger Side

Font Material property Gas Transparency Auto part

·
Registered
23,149 Posts
Discussion Starter · #683 ·
Very nice review and nice to have members finding solutions to improve the product With various tapes. This is one area I have fell a little short but I am happy it’s improving.
When I set out to test this product with the first prototype my mind was blown at how much difference it made especially for how small the items are.

Thanks for the feedback.

·
Registered
23,149 Posts
Discussion Starter · #689 ·
Sorry guys. I am primarily on the other Spyder and Roadster forums. I was not receiving any email notifications.
I have answered your PMs just now and only have one set remaining.
I can make more if there isn't a shortage of materials.

·
Registered
2001 syder
240 Posts
Sorry guys. I am primarily on the other Spyder and Roadster forums. I was not receiving any email notifications.
I have answered your PMs just now and only have one set remaining.
I can make more if there isn't a shortage of materials.
What There's another spyder forum?

·
Registered
23,149 Posts
Discussion Starter · #692 ·
Im in the process of making probably the last batch of bushings. Its going to be very difficult going forward because of supply issues of raw materials and they are predicting a diesel shortage which could effect postal service.
After this batch I should have four sets of bushings for sale. If you are interested please let me know.

·
Registered
23 Posts
Im in the process of making probably the last batch of bushings. Its going to be very difficult going forward because of supply issues of raw materials and they are predicting a diesel shortage which could effect postal service.
After this batch I should have four sets of bushings for sale. If you are interested please let me know.
I would like some of the last batch if it's not too late.

·
Registered
23,149 Posts
Discussion Starter · #698 ·
Thanks for the review. I like that you tried to quantify objectively where the stiffness is by jacking the car and taking measurements. I wasn’t able to figure it out myself but I knew the first time I tested prototypes made of ABS plastic they cracked letting me know that there is a force that can be arrested. Once I used the right materials I was besides myself at the difference it made. I was a bit ridiculed for it but overtime others noticed It wasn’t a placebo and now some say it’s no big deal because I copied Mazda. Whatever the cases is the success of how many I made and sold exceeded all of my expectations and remarkably I never had to take a set back.
I will make another batch in the near future but I am currently watching shortages in materials and shipping costs.

·
Registered
23,149 Posts
Discussion Starter · #699 ·
One other thing I will mention that has come to my attention. It is by luck that I used the materials I did instead of sourcing it out to have them made in Derlin which is far stiffer and it would have driven up the costs considerably.
Derlin is what was used as replacement bushings for the MX-5 but they have fallen out of popularity because of issues with the material and now those MX5 performance companies are making them out of printed materials that are a bit more exotic like carbon fiber or cheaper materials like what is being mass produced in China sold on Amazon. My prints pre-date these printed bushings.

The material I have chosen is the best in my opinion because they have give which is what you want but at the same time they are very durable and will bounce back to retain its original dimensions for a very long time. It will also conform to the door in time. It is my belief that Mazda used rubber for this reason instead of making it as stiff as possible. It also makes them adjustable so you can add or subtract how much interference you want to suit the doors to your liking.

681 - 700 of 713 Posts