MR2 SpyderChat banner
701 - 713 of 713 Posts

·
Registered
23,149 Posts
Discussion Starter · #702 ·
Someone contacted me by Email. It might have been Shabody.
Anyway I have time to make another batch and the material is available.

The price has gone up unfortunately by $2 due to inflation of both shipping and double sided tape. A set of bushings is now $52 shipped.
I

·
Registered
16 Posts
Someone contacted me by Email. It might have been Shabody.
Anyway I have time to make another batch and the material is available.

The price has gone up unfortunately by $2 due to inflation of both shipping and double sided tape. A set of bushings is now $52 shipped.
I
sweet, add me to the list please

·
Registered
23,149 Posts
Discussion Starter · #704 ·
I just sent everyone that requested a PM for payment.
I should have the bushings completed and shipped out by the end of this week.
I will probably have two spots left if anyone is interested.

·
Registered
23,149 Posts
Discussion Starter · #709 · (Edited)
I sent out tracking numbers to all those that ordered. If you did not receive a tracking number please PM me otherwise check your PayPal.
Some orders were sent out yesterday and the rest will be sent out tomorrow afternoon. My driveway was sealed yesterday and I am waiting for it to cure before I drive over it.
I put in overtime to get these done to meet my timeline and I am almost done.

This might be my last batch for a while as it has been a long journey. I have read some silly comments over the years so I thought I would cue you all with the level of difficulty of making these bushings as they are not as easy as turning on the printer and poof there it is.
It has required so much trial, error and problem solving to get the settings just right to print this kind of material which is a 3d printers nightmare if the settings are off. And I have to check to make sure the printer holds those settings. The printer has been heavily modified to have an aftermarket extruder, hot end and custom firmware to get the prints to adhere and have overall cohesiveness so they don't come apart or become brittle. Each print takes over an hour because I have to slow it down so there are no errors or voids. I do not worry about copycats that are using wood, metal or trying to print them on their own using lesser materials because I know it will not be as good as this product as every effort has been taken to get this material to print which requires a dryer. One of the properties of this materials is bing stiff yet it will yield and is flexible which is what you want. This is why Derlin might not be a good material for this application.
After printing it has to be post processed and then a layer of double sided tape applied and then packaged. I couldn't have been more thrilled to have sold so many bushings over the last five years and the awesome support from all of you that made this possible so I thank you all for this rare opportunity to serve the community.

·
Registered
23,149 Posts
Discussion Starter · #710 ·
I found this video interesting. This is what your bushings are made of and I am happy at the time to choose this over others like some of the carbon fiber doped stuff that eats up hot end nozzles. Just know that this guy used a smaller diameter nozzle which is typical for most printers. The nozzle I use is larger which adds to the strength of the print even more. This is what the author of the video surmises in his comments which made me impressed on how durable they will be for the lifetime of the car.

This is clearly a remarkable material. This test gives little idea as to its toughness - albeit you can guess from the elongation prior to break on the test piece after it failed, how tough it is going to be, given the material flows to allow high local stress to redistribute itself.

·
Registered
677 Posts
Just got my bushings installed and took the car for a quick spin.

I need more seat time to really dive in on the nuances of the effects but it is immediately clear these bushings make an impact.

Simply put the car feels more solid. Not because rattles were reduced (if anything I noticed some new ones) but because of an increased sense of rigidity front to rear. My first impression is that this increased rigidity translates, for me personally, to more confidence in corners. Loading the suspension feels more predictable.

My suspension is stock at 70k miles and the increased chassis stiffness almost makes it feel more like the weak link in terms of dynamics. I am okay with this because I plan to refresh the suspension soon.

I am sure this has been discussed but from a mechanical standpoint, I can understand an increase in bending stiffness with these bushings. An increase in torsional rigidity seems more questionable to me. Either way I am both fascinated and thrilled.

I was inspired by Node's use of the Teflon tape but wanted to also find a tape that would allow me to cover and still read the factory door jamb sticker. I purchased this rather expensive roll of "ultra high molecular weight" polyethylene tape. It is pretty low friction and also translucent. I ordered 2" wide, 10mil thick. Its a good way to shim the bushings as well.

Here are some pictures. My car is silver so you can hardly see it and the bushings slide nicely on the tape so far. You can clealy read the sticker as well. Time will tell but the tape seems quite robust.

View attachment 85860

View attachment 85861
How is the poly tape holding up? Looking for a better solution than what I've been using... Vinyl tape and bushing grease. Requires frequent maintenance, but I wanted to be able to see the sticker. Time to reapply again and hoping this is working better than what I've been doing. Cheers!

·
Registered
60 Posts
How is the poly tape holding up? Looking for a better solution than what I've been using... Vinyl tape and bushing grease. Requires frequent maintenance, but I wanted to be able to see the sticker. Time to reapply again and hoping this is working better than what I've been doing. Cheers!
I am at about 1 year with teflon tape. It is pretty worn with a couple of tiny holes here and there, but it still works great. I might remove and replace the original tape at some point, but no need to yet.

701 - 713 of 713 Posts