MR2 SpyderChat banner
1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
97 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
lost my temper, kicked my drivers door open and the door hinge snapped in two.
are the door hinges cheap plastic like the door handles?
I got in a new one from a dealer. goes on tomorrow.

·
Registered
2,444 Posts
2 things:
1. The door creates a very long lever arm acting on the hinge in a way opposite to it's design in that situation so of course it will be damaged...also the doors on this car are heavier than many sedans.
2. In the event of an accident better the hinge gives & the door bends out than the alternative.

Good luck with the repair...try to take your time to line it up such that the panel gap remains even the whole way around.

·
Registered
1,993 Posts
Curious, does the replacement part differ from the original then?
I don’t see why it would. I wonder if he’s talking about the door strap/stop? The hinges, two of them, are fairly heavy steel pieces. I once backed into the garage, leaving one of the doors open and bent it at a 90 degree angle. The strap/stop was damaged and so was the door, as it pulled out with the plastic strap. I had to make a special tool to bend the door back into it’s original shape so the door would close again.

·
Registered
'02 6 spd Manual (C66)
737 Posts
Are we talking about the door check where it limits how far the door opens and an also stop the door at a certain position opened? If so how much did it cost... ? Every where I've seen they're cray cray insane... My other toyota it's like $30... Wtf... ?

·
Registered
97 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Are we talking about the door check where it limits how far the door opens and an also stop the door at a certain position opened? If so how much did it cost... ? Every where I've seen they're cray cray insane... My other toyota it's like $30... Wtf... ?

yes, the door check.
my dealer wanted $239 total
i told him i forgot my wallet but be back.
the internet price was $86+shipping
came to $99
this car is mint, so not going to complain about a part here or there and i always want new if i can get it.

·
Registered
97 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
My beef is why it cost so much... ? Why couldn't they just use a parts bin version off another car... ? Pretty insane prince regardless of new for a stupid door check.
Because you bought one of their sports cars,.
Same as if you bought one of Nissans sports cars like the 240sx or the other one.
They charge big prices if you own one.
I know, I built a 240sx.

·
Registered
2,734 Posts
They don't really care about clearing out the shelf. They just want to get paid back for building the shelf in the first place. I am going to guess that they think that a shelf costs $10 a year.

1 - 17 of 17 Posts