MR2 SpyderChat banner
1 - 20 of 29 Posts

·
Registered
9,750 Posts
Done it. It's really pretty simple. You don't even have to remove the stock insert. Basically, you just pick a fabric (vinyls will probably tend to be a little more pliable and easy to work with, which is good for this process. Soft, thin, and pliable as possible.) that suits your needs.

Once you've done that, either remove the door card or don't. It's a little easier to do the process if you do, but I did it without so it's not necessary. You will have to remove the door handle trim. Then put your fabric over the area and cut it to roughly the correct size, but obviously a little larger.

To secure it, the easiest way is to go to a craft store or something similar and get a bundle of black leather cord. Bit thicker than a shoelace. They sell little 10 or 20 ft. packs of it which is all you need. The process here is to slowly work your way around the insert, tucking the new fabric into the slit between the current fabric and the plastic door card and pushing in the leather cord as far as you can after it. You'll need some sort of makeshift tool to get it in really deep, but it could be just about anything thin enough to get in there. The cord will eventually go far enough in so that you'll barely see it and will hold very securely. As you go, I found it best to continue retrimming your fabric so that it just fits into the slit without coming back out and around after the cord is inserted. If that does happen, you can try and cut the excess with an exacto knife...but I think it's better to just pull it out a little and redo that section after a little trim.

When it's nice and tight and you're happy with it, cut some of the fabric out to re-insert the door handle trim and you're done. Best thing about this method is that it's not at all permanent, so you can play around with it no problem. You'll figure out the method pretty quickly when you're doing it.

Here's mine from my old car. Nevermind the white around the edge, it's just the flash reflecting off the leather.

·
Registered
627 Posts
Great looking mod! anyone else have pictures?

·
Registered
4,064 Posts
Yes, roughly 3 or 4 times. :eek: I just redone them this weekend using some left over Bride fabric. Mine are different though as they are completely removed from the panels altogether.

·
Registered
80 Posts
Ill have to give it a go. I definitely like the embroidered logo.
If you like the logo, sdalbert makes the door inserts with the embroidered eagle if you can get a group of 3 going...click here to see his group buy.

·
Registered
1,016 Posts
HECK, I just want to know the best advice to clean mine! I have red coth on the incerts and have noticed they have black smudges. I am considering a carpet cleaner...but just worried it may be too caustic.

·
Registered
88 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
High_Colorado, you can use Tuff Stuff cleaner it works pretty well used it in my car before.

xbiker, those are nice, id like to get red with black emblem. Also like the sills too. Do they light up?

LuckyMr2, thanks ill have to check that out.

Thanks for all the help and advice and help guys much appreciated.

·
Registered
627 Posts
Very nice xbiker. love the door panel inserts on both cars so far! and the door sills on xbiker's car. Great mod.

·
Registered
409 Posts
I redid mine in black suede a few months back to get rid of the tan color in the interior and to have it match my Recaros.

Not the same way that midshipman01 did it... but whatever works, right?
My dad's friend owns an auto upholstery shop so he did it for me for free.
I took off the tan door card when I dropped it off.
He just sprayed on some kind of brown colored industrial strength glue for upholstery and fitted the suede onto it.
I bought a roll of black leather cord... but IDK... it didn't seem to match very well since the leather had a slight shine to it compared to the suede so I took it off.
The cord is really just for holding the piece there, but maybe since the glue that was used was pretty good, I haven't had a problem with it for months.

·
Registered
3,597 Posts
HECK, I just want to know the best advice to clean mine! I have red coth on the incerts and have noticed they have black smudges. I am considering a carpet cleaner...but just worried it may be too caustic.
If you go the carpet cleaner way, go to a professional janitorail supply company and ask for a cleaner with encapsulation technology. A little goes a long way and is amazing at removing daily grime. A store that sells Kirby Vacuum Cleaner parts will also have such a product, if you can't find elsewhere. I've got a spray bottle of the stuff from the company that does my carpets. It's amazing stuff.

·
Registered
1,016 Posts
High_Colorado, you can use Tuff Stuff cleaner it works pretty well used it in my car before.

:lol: thanks! Never heard of it before, But Ill start looking!

·
Registered
1,016 Posts
If you go the carpet cleaner way, go to a professional janitorail supply company and ask for a cleaner with encapsulation technology. A little goes a long way ......

Thanks Uncle M!

·
Registered
80 Posts
Just thought I'd throw my picture in too...sorry for the glare, just a quick pic after work...

·
Registered
627 Posts
pics Oldman?

·
Registered
88 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
Yea heres why i want to replace mine. I guess it would be better to just take the old off and put the new instead of putting it over the old one.

·
Registered
4,619 Posts
Door card - door panel insert

I finally replaced an insert today. I used some soft 1/4 inch thick foam and black perforated vinyl, and a putty knife, worn out screwdriver, razor blade, spray adhesive, leather strip.
Here's the Spydermagazine article (not many details about fitting the fabric).
I thought these pictures might help somebody who wants to tackle it.

*edit*
I don't think all the painful glue steps are necessary. I did another car and omitted the spray adhesive completely. It worked fine. I also omitted the cord to tuck into the groove. I have a vinyl template where I can trim the vinyl to the right profile, then just tuck the edges into the groove and everything stays put just fine. The groove will hold quite a bit of material if you cram it in there with a putty knife or similar. Tightly crammed edges stay put very well. One more tip - it helps if you trim some small "V" notches about every 1/2 inch around each of the corners. It cuts down on too much material trying to fit into the groove. Corners need the "V" cuts.

Glued fabric-backed foam in place (sew-foam)...

I cut a little too much for the door handle opening, be sure to leave plenty of fabric...

Took me a good hour to do one side...

1 - 20 of 29 Posts