MR2 SpyderChat banner
21 - 29 of 29 Posts

·
Registered
184 Posts
I have nice looking inserts that were unfortunately installed as part of the Leather Package. Trimming was mentioned in this thread. The installer didn't worry about that because they used too little material to begin with and a 4" slit keeps popping up on both doors. I'm tired of tucking it in. Anyone know of an adhesive for this application?

·
Registered
4,611 Posts
I have nice looking inserts that were unfortunately installed as part of the Leather Package. Trimming was mentioned in this thread. The installer didn't worry about that because they used too little material to begin with and a 4" slit keeps popping up on both doors. I'm tired of tucking it in. Anyone know of an adhesive for this application?
DAP Weldwood adhesive will definitely stick it down. HH-66 is okay too, but it's expensive. The DAP stuff is very runny so watch out for drips. Smear it on both parts separately and let them both dry (til the gloss disappears) for a few minutes. Then you get one chance to stick it down. Small bottles may be available at Lowes or Wally. Note, dried DAP is really nasty to remove.

If it's just one spot you might be okay. Mine were shrinking all around, and my attempts to glue all the edges down were wasted time. I should have just peeled them off and started from scratch.

·
Registered
184 Posts
Thanks, I'll give it a shot. No real downside.

EDIT: It worked fine. No more tucking it in all the time.

·
Registered
26 Posts
Has anyone redone there door panel inserts? I want to do mine but really dont know how to go about doing it.
Yes! I did it yesterday. Just buy enough fabric and some leather string to hold it in. You can just put the new fabric over the old stuff. Also, theres an old thread about it on here somewhere.

·
Registered
1,314 Posts
Yes! I did it yesterday. Just buy enough fabric and some leather string to hold it in. You can just put the new fabric over the old stuff. Also, theres an old thread about it on here somewhere.
I hope that thread was from before 2015 or he'll have to pull a double back to the future to have solved his problem

·
Registered
4,611 Posts
I don’t think its a big deal either way. I usually glue the foam to the door, then let the vinyl or leather slide around on the fabric surface of the sew foam, and let the edges hold it in place. If you have trouble keeping the edges tucked in, then I’d glue the fabric side also. The vinyl will have shaped to the surface after tucking it in for a few days, making it easier to get it positioned.

21 - 29 of 29 Posts