MR2 SpyderChat banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Two questions. First, its kind of after-the-fact, but I was curious if anyone has time to maybe enlighten me: my feet got wet if—and only when—I drove though puddles in my 2001 MR2 Spyder. It was like water dripped off the steering column.
Body shop said the seal around the drive shaft (and between the fire wall? although not sure about FW relation) is just gone, deteriorated or fell off? But gone. They are repairing; the biggest problem was getting the part, but they expect to have it in a day or two, and the actual work didn’t sound that complicated, would take a day.
I was actually kind of relieved because I feared some more general hidden leak, and some people tried to tell me it was the AC, which I was pretty sure not the case given all the conditions.
Is this an unusual problem, or something that just happens sometimes? Is it relatively easy to fix?
Question 2, more vague and less timely: the 2001 car has 55,000 miles, we are sole owner(s). It was basically stored for a couple years, then about 4 years ago I got it out, fixed it up, and made it my car. Runs great as best I can tell, I drive it daily now and have it serviced regularly. The engine had major work a year ago and the AC was also totally redone. Had a couple parking lot dings, the body shop is fixing those as well. What does NOT work at all is the radio/sound system.
I’ve considered selling it, but can’t find any comparables to get idea of price. And I wonder I if it would matter much if I put in a sound system (not fancy just basic) or is that something a new owner would prefer to do? I do love driving it….

·
Registered
4,689 Posts
Sorry but I am absolutely not seeing the same thing that my learned colleague is seeing. Different optics?

Product Font Auto part Parallel Engineering
Rectangle Font Parallel Screenshot Technology

It's very unusual for this seal to leak. I would be looking for signs of any other damage on the firewall.

The steering column can be decoupled from the rack easily. If it is matchmarked first there is no need for alignment.

·
Registered
1,683 Posts
Hmm, you both look right. Now I have to decide which one to buy. Looks like the pack rats got to two of mine. It’s nice going through puddles, getting water all over the feet.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts