MR2 SpyderChat banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Apparently the switch when the door opens is not triggering because there is no alert if the keys are left in the ignition, there is no alert if the headlights are left on, and the dome light only turns on automatically when the passengers side door is opened. The only thing I have done is check the fuse on the drivers side panel labeled "DOOR" - and it is good.

How can I troubleshoot this?

And one other random question: Are 2003 MR2's all keyless entry by default? I bought mine used recently and it didn't come with a keyless fob - just curious if I can buy one and program it?

Thanks

(I own a 2003 MR2 Spyder with 42k miles on it)

·
Registered
5,904 Posts
There a procedure for programming the Key Fob to the Car.. yes it had one..

Never had a door switch apart.. should be right at the door.

What key did you get with the car.. Master or 'Valet' ( Slave ) key..

Cap

·
Registered
4,454 Posts
Apparently the switch when the door opens is not triggering because there is no alert if the keys are left in the ignition, there is no alert if the headlights are left on, and the dome light only turns on automatically when the passengers side door is opened. The only thing I have done is check the fuse on the drivers side panel labeled "DOOR" - and it is good.
How can I troubleshoot this?
Try re-tightening the door switch on the door jamb. I wanted to shut up the beeping when I was working on my car, and BARELY loosened the attach bolt for the switch, and the beep quit. The switch-to-body contact must be pretty small area.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
I got two keys with it. They both appear the exact same. Toyota emblem and all.

Let me check the door jam again.

Where's a good place to buy the keyless fob?

·
Registered
1,897 Posts
Just taking a shot at this problem cause I had the same thing happen awhile back,

I just pushed the door switch a bunch of times the switch popped out and everything works fine now. Maybe its just lodged/ stuck and needs a little massaging to work again.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
I poked it a bit and nothing happened - so I swapped the passenger door switch over to the drivers side and boom - works!

So now the passenger one doesn't work - oh well - it's nearly useless over there anyway.

Thanks!

·
Registered
176 Posts
The door switch is amazingly simple. A little cleaning/lubing will generally fix it. I can't remember exactly how I fixed mine, but it was not more thatn a couple of minutes work.
IIRC, one side of the switch is always grounded, and then the "piston" makes a complete circuit when the door is open.

·
Registered
7,661 Posts
I poked it a bit and nothing happened - so I swapped the passenger door switch over to the drivers side and boom - works!

So now the passenger one doesn't work - oh well - it's nearly useless over there anyway.

Thanks!
This is actual good troubleshooting. You replaced it with a known good part and solved the problem. With this you've isolated the problem to the actual switch. Like cyclehead recommended, I would try cleaning it. If that doesn't work, they run about $20 from the dealer and are referred to simply enough as the door jamb switch.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts