MR2 SpyderChat banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Is it safe to drop the MR-S about 1.5 inches using the stock shocks/coilovers? Or should I just save up for new coilovers while I'm at it.

·
Registered
4,238 Posts
The Tein SS are coilovers that cost about $1500. The Springs they offer are the S-techs.

It is safe to use that spring on the stock shocks but it will decrease the life of them(the shocks)

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
The Tein SS are coilovers that cost about $1500. The Springs they offer are the S-techs.

It is safe to use that spring on the stock shocks but it will decrease the life of them(the shocks)
Oops, sorry about that spelling...or item mistake. :x But anyways, is the decrease in life going to be drastic?

·
Registered
4,238 Posts
I went straight from stock suspension to the Tein SS-P Coilovers....so someone else may have a better answer.

But if you have upwards or 80-100k miles and still the factory struts i wouldnt expect them to last too long with the lowering springs.

·
Registered
236 Posts
Replaced my stock stuff with new kyb gr2's and tein s-techs it rides alot smoother than I honestly expected for a cheap setup. OP it would be advised to change the struts if the funds allow but if not you should be safe for awhile. No real answer for how long the stock struts will last when used for lowering, some have had failure pretty quickly well others have had zero failure.

·
Registered
627 Posts
Is it safe to drop the MR-S about 1.5 inches using the stock shocks/coilovers? Or should I just save up for new coilovers while I'm at it.
It is extremely unsafe to drop your car with the stock shocks. Jk
I used the s-techs but I replaced the shocks with the KYB's at the same time and I love the ride, it is a bit more rough than stock, but it looks great. Overall I would rather have smoother ride.

·
Registered
200 Posts
I am running tein lowering springs with stock shocks and have been for a year or so with no problems. The car is firmer and corners flat. It will reduce the life of the shocks though.

·
Registered
7,645 Posts
I ran tein s-tech springs on stock struts, took about a year and a half to blow a strut. As mentioned above, if you have many miles, i.e. 60k+ I would strongly recommend getting some kyb struts while you're changing springs.

·
Registered
352 Posts
Thats worrying! Wasnt aware that dropping the car with aftermarket springs on to the stock shocks was potentially dangerous and shortened the life span of the shocks. Iv drop mine about 2 years ago with the tein s-tech on the stock shocks. Iv noticed some creaking when driving over speed bumps, but that could be from the upper mount on its way out.

·
Registered
7,645 Posts
Mine just blew the front left strut, it's not something that is going to send you off the road, careening into a busload of pregnant nuns or anything. It's just that the shock starts losing oil around the shaft seal, which means it doesn't control the bounce of the spring as well, leading to a more bouncy ride when hitting bumps.

·
Registered
67 Posts
im have tein lowering springs on stock struts. my car has 115,xxx miles. still no problems. i forgot when i put them in. maybe around 60,xxx? still no problems (knock on wood!!!!). i dont track or autox. just sprinted driving once in awhile.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts