MR2 SpyderChat banner
1 - 20 of 27 Posts

·
Registered
614 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Does anyone know what is the situation on the star specs. Every place I look they are back ordered or just not listed any more. Tire Rack claims to have some next week.

Reason I ask is that I'm in the market for new tires. The z1's are a great tire regardless of the money. After lurking the tirerack, and practically every other tire site I came out with several options only for the following size.

205/50/15 front and 225/50/16 rear. I have stock 03 wheels.

Option 1. Z1 star specs, cost roughly 568 shipped to me.
Pro: It's a tire I'm very familiar with and know their limits.
Cons: Actual availability seems to be questionable at the moment.
Question: Tire life, I have had these tires previously on my mk2 turbo, and they lasted about 12k before the rears started to wear down. Sorry I'm a chicken [email protected]#$ and replace tires when they hit 4/32's tread wise. Considering that the spyder is a much lighter car, with much less horse power anyone have an idea of how long they would last?

Option 2. Advan AD08, cost roughly 638 shipped to me.
Pro: It's a good tire, that does very well on track and autox duty like the Z1's. They seem to be rather easy to get my hands on a set.
Con: Pricing, some reviews have stated they seem tricky to mount, tread rating is lower then the z1's.
Question: Is the extra price worth it?? In reviews it seems that the the Advan's offer mostly the same levels but cost 100 more. This is the one tire I haven't previously owned so I have little actual real world experience. Only time I have was at an autox track in a STI. So this tire is a crap shoot to me.

Option 3. Yoko S-Drives cost roughly 450 shipped to me.
Pro: It's cheap, high-tread rating, and can be driven in the snow in a real pinch. Yea found that out the hard scary way. Everyone and their mother has a set in whatever size you want laying around.
Con: Much lower levels of grip, when you heat them up they turn to junk. At an autox event well the splinter and vaporize at the track rubber feels like it's made of hopes and dreams. Again another item I learned the hard way with this tire.

·
Registered
125 Posts
Have you looked into the dezzera dz 101's. That's what I have and they stick very well in all conitions so far that I have come across. I live in GA so its nice and hot, plus its almost always humid. They have done much better than I expected in the rain. And I have run them on a track with great results. Its a cheaper tire yes, but it has preformed well for me so far and I have had them for around 4000 miles.( daily driven and tracked twice) just thought I would share my experience with these, hope it helps....:rolleyes:

·
Registered
614 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
t-bone I pulled up the re-11's in the size you suggested. Pricing is 680 shipped to me from tire rack. Where did you guys get them from that is similar in price to the z1's? I've read that people are getting these for 500 dollars.

·
Registered
553 Posts
Aye buddy, go to the firestone store and get a quote. Tell them discount tire is giving you a better deal. They will reduce the price. I got a set out the door w tax for 620. I go to the one in renton.

Ps if you talk to the manager he might give you a discount on top of that. I got a great deal on tires for the Prius from them.

·
Registered
506 Posts
My RE-11s were $480 - installed, balanced and including tax. 205/50/15. I got them through Discount Tires - I price-matched a local place running them for $580 and they had a $100 rebate going on. They seem to do them often - keep your eyes peeled.

·
Registered
614 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 · (Edited)
Got lucky at Costco and was able to get the RE-11's in the larger size I wanted for only 624 installed and all. I'll do a review once the tires get installed in a few days as it's a special order item. They were running a 100 dollar discount for bridgestones. Main reason why I didn't consider them vs the z1's was mainly due to the 200 dollar price difference. On tirerack they were showing to cost me 720 shipped, mounting balancing etc... would then bring the total to 800 plus. But hey if it's even cheaper then the z1's who's to complain right. Thanks for the help guys. I would never suspect that poking around I would find these tires for so cheap. Sad part these would be the cheapest set of tires I have ever bought for an mr2.

BTW size I ordered are the following
205/50/15 fronts
225/50/16 rears

·
Registered
614 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
You will love them. They stick like glue.
Here's hoping, the spyder already handle much better then my old mk2 turbo with POS tires they came with. It was some freakish combo of Falken's in the front, and Nanking in the back. Both were econo tires.

How many miles are you guys getting out of them. I was able to squeeze about 12k out of the star specs. This is a new tire to me so I have no idea about how they will handle.

·
Registered
3,208 Posts
Got lucky at Costco and was able to get the RE-11's in the larger size I wanted for only 624 installed and all. I'll do a review once the tires get installed in a few days as it's a special order item. They were running a 100 dollar discount for bridgestones. Main reason why I didn't consider them vs the z1's was mainly due to the 200 dollar price difference. On tirerack they were showing to cost me 720 shipped, mounting balancing etc... would then bring the total to 800 plus. But hey if it's even cheaper then the z1's who's to complain right. Thanks for the help guys. I would never suspect that poking around I would find these tires for so cheap. Sad part these would be the cheapest set of tires I have ever bought for an mr2.

205/50/15 fronts
225/50/16 rears
Cool. I can't believe how much better the re11s are than my previous setup. I got a 195/50/15 and 205/50/15 set and once they got scrubbed in (it took a while, be careful) they really stick.

·
Registered
802 Posts
Got lucky at Costco and was able to get the RE-11's in the larger size I wanted for only 624 installed and all.
205/50/15 fronts
225/50/16 rears
(edit: Nevermind, I don't read well.)

Curious to see what you think about 225/50. I've been avoiding that size since 225/45 is already a hair taller than stock.

·
Registered
614 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
(edit: Nevermind, I don't read well.)

Curious to see what you think about 225/50. I've been avoiding that size since 225/45 is already a hair taller than stock.
In regards to tire size, well I personally would trade more grip over straight line speed. My car always had the tire size on it but I know I'm losing quite a bit in terms of acceleration just like in my mk2 when I would run 17's vs 14's. I went with the sizes that would provide me the widest tire possible for the factory 03 wheels. Also in the sizes I was looking for it provided me with more staggered options. I know many of you guys swear by a square setup but it's just not my preferance. In my MR ownership I have experimented with square setups off and on but only would run it for autox tires. For my driving habits be they good or bad I feel more comfortable with a fairly wide stagger of 20mm to 40mm.

·
Registered
802 Posts
Placed my order at Costco yesterday. Apparently they ONLY have these tires in Florida - there was nowhere closer to California with them in stock.

Here's the ad they had on the counter.

1 - 20 of 27 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.