MR2 SpyderChat banner
1 - 20 of 23 Posts

· Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Coming into this year (2023) luxury auto discontinued the monocraft X wide body kit. This makes the only remaining 2 companies Durflex and Vis racing Techno kit for this body style.

I have been searching all over the forums but can't find a post about the quailty of durflex past 2010s.

If anyone can share some insight that would be amazing. The pricing gap between both companies is about 1k$

Durflex sells it for $2,300~ish USD and Vis sells it for $3,500~ish.

Side note: the Vis one might be just priced higher because it comes with both doors and a wing.

Vis techno kit:

Durflex gt3000:

· Registered
Weigh, Cut, Weigh, Weld, Glue, Cut, Weigh, Drill
2,456 Posts
So many of these are poorly installed that I kind of wish they would just go away. That being said, I think there are a few more out there. I swear I saw a carbon one on Alibabba the other day.

· Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Those are two different styled kits .... the one from andy's is the Monocraft 3000 knock off , the Vis kit used to be called Bandoh kit . No body likes the Bandoh kit ....

View attachment 94829 View attachment 94830
I should say I just love the extended front wheel fenders. Huge fan of spyderlees build. I think the durflex one looks better. I just want to know the quailty of the material. I have never body kitted a vehicle before. And am trying to learn as much about them as possible before I make the purchase of a kit.

· Registered
4,263 Posts
The quality of durflex is bad , resin missing , chunks missing and poor fitting . So it depends on how picky you are , all body kits need work . I haven't seen a kit from Vis but sure it has issues , I've bought a couple Vis hood and the quality or the material seems good and fitment was just ok . Not sure what the door skins would be , the spoiler is probably the little flip on the rear bumper cover .

· Registered
98 Posts
Back in ~2012 when the FRS/BRZ was released and I was building a SEMA booth car I contacted Duraflex for a sponsorship. They agreed to a full sponsorship as long as I paid shipping. I signed the paperwork and sent over ~$300. Got the kit a month before SEMA and it was not close to fitting. The amount of hours it would've taken would've mean thousands of dollars spent at the body shop. Long story short I asked them to send me a shipping label to return it. I never heard from them again. That year at SEMA I saw one or two cars with the kit and it looked beyond terrible. I wish I had photos.

As far as the LP Monocraft. I put my order in before it was discontinued. Talking to RedlineRicer on IG it appears the fitment is pretty good. He had to do zero fitting unlike the disaster of a LP Super Warrento S kit. I actually ordered it much earlier than I needed it so it will be in storage for months or maybe years. I thought about pulling molds off it but it's hard to justify the cost (time, money, storage) involved. Who knows? I might even get totally ripped off by LuxuryPart and will never ever see it.

· Premium Member
881 Posts
Those are two different styled kits .... the one from andy's is the Monocraft 3000 knock off , the Vis kit used to be called Bandoh kit . No body likes the Bandoh kit...
Which is sad in an ironic way, because the original Monocraft kit was produced by Bandoh.

· Premium Member
881 Posts
The rear fenders just ruin the look of this kit. I'm glad they smooth it out on the Monocraft.
Same! I wonder if they just did that to differentiate the two.

Here's a *couple of scans of the Monocraft handout, for posterity!

Automotive parking light Vehicle Wheel Tire Grille

Font Material property Parallel Rectangle Plan

Something "productive," for the day - at home with a sick cat. 😿

I'll need to re-scan the inside as it cut in a bit, before I can merge.

When I first started getting into Spyders, before I finally bought one, I was so enamored of the JGTC cars, and the Monocraft kit. Now I realize, if I had that kit, and all that it requires (subjective), I would be way too precious with it, and it would probably be nigh undrivable for me. I could see doing it as a showpiece maybe, but not for use otherwise. Or, reproduced and modded for racing, but that's not and may never be in my wheelhouse, either.

My happy medium is the VM180 - working on getting that together after so long..

Reactions: firebert

· Registered
2,583 Posts
this will be for sale in the spring if you want a widebody. In California. Start saving your pennies now. View attachment 94899 View attachment 94900
I hate how that kit just decided to take a round rear bumper & add square sides with vent holes in the back to count for the extra width in the easiest design cop-out possible. Obviously a very good looking car nonetheless.

· Registered
13 Posts
As a few others have posted. I say APR. While I agree, the square holes at the back of the quarters are not awesome, I feel the front fenders more than make up for that flaw. I've always wanted to do this kit. APR states that they build it when ordered. So there is a wait time. Here's a link to it on there site.

1 - 20 of 23 Posts