MR2 SpyderChat banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
17,053 Posts
From what I've read a majority of those deaths were preventable and the dead folks are likely Darwin Award recipients. Going out in a hurricane to "see what's going on" is stupid. Jumping into a raging river during a hurricane to go swimming is stupid. Standing on the seawall to watch the waves or jumping into the ocean to go "surf the 'cane" is stupid. Several people had heart attacks which are generally a cumulative affect from lifestyle and Irene happened to be around for the coup de grace. Folks out driving around during a hurricane and get crushed by a falling tree is stupid as is driving your car into a raging flow of water and wondering why you were swept away and your lifeless body was found down river a few miles. Many of those deaths were preventable and avoidable and the result of poor judgment.

Of course there are the exceptions like the Princeton EMS worker who was attempting a rescue in a submerged car and broke free of his lifeline and drowned. The car ended up being empty.

Some people just need to be told what to do at every step of the way in which case Darwin was correct.

·
Registered
95 Posts
Ok here. Live in Cape May county NJ about 2 miles in from the ocean. In all honesty the first couple of "bands" that pushed in on us were the worst of the storm. It was a bit freighting or rather intimidating. The sheer power and size of it all. But overall it let up/ eased up after that and was similar to a nor'easter which we get from time to time. I would never ride out anything over a category 1 and even then your taking your chances with the damn tornado's. The sister of a friend of mine lost their house in vineland nj due to a tornado. Personally we have an exceptionally well built basement and so was not too concerned about that.
Put my spyder up on jack stands in the garage just in case of flooding.. heh,, lots of rain but no serious flooding all is well. Not too many downed trees where I am, lots of down branches. Oh and loss of power at 7pm Sat night. Equipped with a generator solved that. I have to admit ; Atlantic city electric had our power restored by 1pm Sunday so A+ for them.

·
Registered
95 Posts
All good here. I'm outside Philly and we got a ton of rain the first day then the second day we got bit of wind. The spyder was pulled into a spare detail bay at work and kept in hiding till the storm passed. Most everything is back to normal. Only a few places around here without power still.

·
Registered
770 Posts
We are fine, thank you for asking.
We live across from a brook that normally overflows even on a regular rainstorm.
So I knew it was going to be bad. Water came up to the front porch and 5 inches
in the garage.
Luckily I had moved the spyder a few blocks away to an enclosed parking garage near the local hospital. Survived with no issues.
This is what the street in front of the apartment looked like on Sunday morning.

·
Registered
17,053 Posts
We lost power for a brief time. The North side of town has been without power since Sunday around 8 AM. We had to go over to the house on the North side and make sure the basement hadn't flooded. The water in the sumps is rising but hasn't spilled over onto the floor. Hopefully the power will be restored and that won't be an issue.

Northside flooding was pretty bad. Took out the police department. Probably not a great idea building the town building next to the river. They did get to use the 3 police boats though. On several streets the water was halfway up peoples houses. If you live on the river and want a river view then chances are that river view will be in your living room once and awhile. The First Aid Squad had water almost up to their roof. Again, its on the bank of the river. By several accounts it is also sinking into the river. Number of large trees down blocking roads still. Several roads still closed and without traffic signals the roads are like the Wild West.

·
Registered
95 Posts
Man bluespydy, those pics don't even come close to how things look here on the jersey shore... The whole thing is a mess. I understand the concern and evacuation protocol but clearly something is amiss... Did they do a Mandatory evacuation of your county? Me thinks not. And yet we were and see nothing like that down here in Cape May. I too see the next Mandatory evacuation falling on deft ears. Hope you didn't sustain any real damage via that flood. You know what they say, "LOCATION LOCATION LOCATION!! ".. Evacuation!!

Hmmmm

·
Registered
17,053 Posts
North side of town got power back at 3:30 this morning. Most of the flooding has receded. Still several large trees down. One went through the roof ridge of a house over on the next block. Debris piled high on the curbs all over town. Several dumpsters seen at multiple locations.

We lost half of my DQ ice cream birthday cake. The travesty, the horror, the destruction, oh the humanity! Knew I should have polished that off that night.

·
Registered
1,966 Posts
We lost half of my DQ ice cream birthday cake. The travesty, the horror, the destruction, oh the humanity! Knew I should have polished that off that night.
Damn Ag, you've really had it bad. The knocking over of the chair by the earthquake and now premature melting of your cake. I hope you called FEMA for help.B)

·
Registered
1,240 Posts
We lost power, cable and phones around 3:30am Sunday morning. It came back on yesterday around 5:00pm. A few trees came down on my property; we were lucky that none hit the house or cars. We did get two inches of water in the basement so the carpet will need to be replaced.

I feel really bad for the folks living in the Catskills area, they got hit very hard. That area in recent years has been economically depressed due to the economy and lack of tourism; I really hope they bounce back. I was in Phoenicia and Margaretville three weeks ago and was sad to see how many for sale and closed signs were hanging in the shop windows since the last time I was there, now there’s this for them to deal with.

·
Banned
415 Posts
I may be being a bit insensitive, but the warning has been given days in advance.
I saw some cars parked near the shoreline, and I was thinking, what exactly are the owners expecting?

But I guess for those who live far off shore wouldn't expect something like this. I hear it's pretty bad in Vermont.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts