MR2 SpyderChat banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
91 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
-Need to replace the stock header as the pre-cats are still in there.

-Will be doing a 2ZZ swap next year so not interested in spending out the A for a header.

-Found this on eBay: http://www.ebay.com/itm/2000-2007-Toyota-MR2-MR-2-Spyder-ZZW30-1-8-m2-Exhaust-Header-/180825287788?fits=Model:MR2%20Spyder&hash=item2a1a06ec6c&item=180825287788&pt=Motors_Car_Truck_Parts_Accessories&vxp=mtr

Can anyone attest to an ebay header replacement being a good idea? $105 sounds like a deal to me if I only plan to use it for a year.

·
Registered
303 Posts
This is the one I purchased, and I have had zero problems with it other then it became discolored. I didn't use the gaskets that came with it and purchased OEM ones. I've had it on for about 10 months and put about 8k miles on it. I also used the OEM bolts and nuts. You could just gut the pre-cat out of the stock header if you want to save the money for the swap.

·
Registered
91 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thank you for the quick response. I think I'll just gut the stocker, but was thinking of just replacing to save myself that bit of work of gutting it all out.

·
Registered
7,661 Posts
I agree with this as well. It's about 30 minutes extra work to gut the stock manifold than it is to switch it out for an aftermarket header, and you'll be $100 closer to the 2zz swap.

Either way pick up new donut gaskets from the dealership for the header to midpipe connection. They run less than $10 for both and it'll make sure you don't have to go through it again for a leak.

·
Registered
91 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Appreciate the answers guys. I'll just gut the stock header this weekend after I pickup replacement gaskets.

·
Registered
553 Posts
I agree with this as well. It's about 30 minutes extra work to gut the stock manifold than it is to switch it out for an aftermarket header, and you'll be $100 closer to the 2zz swap.

Either way pick up new donut gaskets from the dealership for the header to midpipe connection. They run less than $10 for both and it'll make sure you don't have to go through it again for a leak.
They are actually 10 each. So you need 2 so it comes out to 20 plus tax. They are called exhaust gaskets.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts