MR2 SpyderChat banner
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
A few months ago I rebuilt my transmission (replaced the fourth syncro) and did all the gaskets and the clutch. Once I got everything back in the car I was able to start it, shift up and down gears (i am not able to shift into reverse) and drive the car. When I do drive the car it has very inconsistent revs and was making next to no power and would stall every now and then, pretty much every time I pulled up to a stop, I would then have to firm the car off and on again to get it to start. I attempted to do both the new parts relearn and the clutch point relearn to no avail. I then installed techstream and attempted to do a relearn/ work out what is wrong with the car abc it wouldn't connect, I then hooked up a normal OBDII reader, the one I have always used on this car without issue and it wouldn't connect. I then took it for another drive, and like the previous times, it stalled, however this time it would not start the engine again, instead the starter just goes click click click. I took the battery home and put it on a charger until it was fully charged and then put it back in the car and again click click click. So I got it towed to my local Toyota so that they could do a diagnostics test, which they did, returning nothing, to the extent that they didn't even charge me.
Does anyone have any thoughts of what the issues might be? Could it just be that the ECU/TCU is fried?
What would my best course of action be e.g. repair it, sell it etc.

P.s. I live in Australia so there were only about 1700 of these sold here, or so I have heard of of an OC, so there is not a great deal of knowledge regarding these cars around.

Thanks,
RR

·
Registered
2003 Toyota MR2 Spyder 2.0L Stroker
4,292 Posts
If this was a straight manual I would definitely say it points to some type of ECU failure. But this being a SMT is not as simple. That being said if you can get your hands on ECU/TCU it's a easy swap.

Check your battery as well.

·
Registered
1,931 Posts
I agree; bad battery or connections.
Also, there might be an issue with the transmission speed sensor, not hooked up or damaged, etc.
Not sure about the reverse issue. Maybe something didn’t get put back together right or the pump isn’t charging sufficiently because of the battery/connection issue.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
So I finally got time to test my battery, I could not find an issue with it (I took it to battery world). I also tested the wiring and could not find an issue with it and then tried tap starting to no avail. I also had a check of the hpu, it's fluid levels are as expected and it takes between about 12 and 20 seconds for it to stop buzzing. I forgot to mention in my original post that Toyota bench tested my starter abbreviations found no issues with it.

Any thoughts?

Cheers.

·
Registered
1,931 Posts
It often shows a cel but none of my OBDII's will connect, even the one I used to use on the car.
Figure out why you can’t connect to the system and get the codes. Remember, disconnecting the battery will erase the codes. It could be that the HPU is not building adequate pressure, triggering the CEL/no start, stalling at stop lights, and not engaging reverse gear.

·
Registered
2003 Toyota MR2 Spyder 2.0L Stroker
4,292 Posts
Check for any blown fuses. Offhand can't remember which. But one handles the OBD, don't recall if it's the Gauges fuse or the Cig Lighter. But first thing I would check.

Also have you had any water in your cubby's?

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Thanks everyone, I checked all the fuses and none were blown, I used a multimeter not just a visual inspection. I also checked the starter to see if it is getting the expected voltage, which it is. So my plan is to take the engine/ gearbox out to replace the starter and ensure that all of the transmission sensors and holding pins, the ones with the spring and ball baring I am not sure what they are actually called, are working and torqued to the factory specs. I will also get a 'new' ECU and TCU off Gumtree.

Does this sound like a foolish plan? Should I do something else instead? Thoughts?

Cheers,

RR.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts