MR2 SpyderChat banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
24 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi

Can anyone help a girlie with a dodgy antenna in the UK? :lol:

My antenna makes a right noise when i start the car, it doesn't seem to go up and when i turn the car off i have to slightly push the antenna down before it automatically does. Has the motor gone? If, so does anyone recommend an ariel that isn't electric but has a good reception? I'm concerned if i buy a short one that the reception will be rubbish. Thanks

·
Registered
7,223 Posts
I just ran out of the Toyota parts today (the rubber grommet). I will have some on order during the week and they should be ready to ship out again sometime next week.

·
Registered
68 Posts
The motor is probably fine if the antenna goes down. It's probably the gear strip inside the antenna is worn down or possibly broken. You can get a new antenna mast (includes the gear strip) from eBay or Mr T. If it's just worn down, you don't need to get inside to extract the gear strip - it probably can be done entirely from the outside of your car. If it's broken, it's a little more work. Or, like you say, you can take the entire thing out and replace with a non-powered one if you want.

·
Registered
7,223 Posts
The motor is probably fine if the antenna goes down. It's probably the gear strip inside the antenna is worn down or possibly broken. You can get a new antenna mast (includes the gear strip) from eBay or Mr T. If it's just worn down, you don't need to get inside to extract the gear strip - it probably can be done entirely from the outside of your car. If it's broken, it's a little more work. Or, like you say, you can take the entire thing out and replace with a non-powered one if you want.
To replace the strip with another antenna mast, you will need to remove the right rear wheel, pull back the fender liner and remove the 2 nuts holding it in place (It is all 1 piece). Then, you will also need to remove the rear storage compartment pieces to access the plugs for the antenna mast and fish the wires through to connect them.

The above is only a few points of the installation. It's not hard, but the job most certainly can NOT be done completely from outside the car.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts