MR2 SpyderChat banner

1 - 20 of 27 Posts

·
Registered
128 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I was searching on Ebay for TRD superchargers for the 1zzfe and going that route for FI. I then came a cross ducted fan design for an electric supercharger. I realize that the one for sale was a total piece of crap and not worth the plastic it was make of but it got me thinking. I think that it would be possible to make a I.F. design using a ducted fan from a remote control air plane. I think this would be the best possible marriage of technology and our cars you could make a completely custom boost profile. Full or partial boost at any RPM not dependent on engine speed or load. I am thinking of make prototype of one for my car but I don't know a lot of information. I think I would use a PFC to control the fuel and timing and for the time being make a liner boost profile using some sort of co-processor or something. I still have to find out how much flow I need to create enough boost I am thinking 5 PSI for now. I think it would be a safe amount of boost and then could be scaled up. Unfortunately, the ducted fans used in remote control air planes are measured in pounds or kilograms of thrust. I wonder if there is someway to convert pounds of thrust to CFM or liters per minute. I am looking for thoughts and ideas all are welcome. My intent is not to hurt the car or decrease it's reliability or damage it in anyway.

Thanks
Chris

·
Registered
7,058 Posts
Obligatory

If you have to ask questions of this nature you do not have the engineering or mechanical aptitude to DIY; therefore you will pay someone else to do it for you. At that point you'll realize that for the time and money you spent you were better off using a conventional f/i setup.

/Thread

·
Registered
1,897 Posts
:popcornsmiley:

·
Registered
5,282 Posts
I build and fly RC planes. I did have a large EDF jet a few years ago. They will move a lot of air but I have no idea how good they are compressing air or how good the duty cycle would be for constant running. I find it an interesting thought just like electric assist power steering reducing the load on the engine. Do some research and good luck.

·
Registered
128 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Well, I think that was a bit much. :)

·
Registered
345 Posts
Your average supercharger is a compressor requiring a bunch of HP to run. Now think about how big, say, a 10 HP electric motor would have to be. Yeah, not gonna happen.

·
Registered
23,072 Posts
I build and fly RC planes. I did have a large EDF jet a few years ago. They will move a lot of air but I have no idea how good they are compressing air or how good the duty cycle would be for constant running. I find it an interesting thought just like electric assist power steering reducing the load on the engine. Do some research and good luck.
I was flying EDF jets last year and it was like a dose of pure adrenalin trying not to crash it.
I realized that it was beyond my skill level not so much that I thought I couldn't fly it but my wallet said otherwise.

When I spun up that motor I was amazed at how much was being ejected from such a small opening.

·
Registered
870 Posts
I have one and I run 600hp they are awesome
Is that all?? you must have the slow one?? you running the full 12volts??

·
Registered
2,932 Posts
The unfortunate thing about common sense... it is not so common...

·
Registered
1,986 Posts
Electric ? Na, that won't work. Not enough power.

I strapped two Stihl petrol-leafblowers to the car, haven't dynod it yet, but I estimate around 750 hp !

And its reliable, I just have to check the ducttape every time I take it out !

·
Registered
217 Posts
You would need an overly powerful electric engine to force enough air in... the solution paid engineers found for "supercharging" a cars performance with electric power is called a hybrid.

In the end a hybrid serves a similar purpose to a supercharger in that it provides more torque and makes the engine feel a bit more like a larger displacement engine. It has also been put to use as a NOS replacement on some of the CRZ race cars. The hybrid system is disabled by default and the drivers have a push to pass type button setup to give them an extra boost of hybrid power when they need it.

With improvements in hybrid technology i could really see it becoming an equal to forced induction without loosing any of the benefits of an N/A engine.

·
Registered
5,282 Posts
I was flying EDF jets last year and it was like a dose of pure adrenalin trying not to crash it.
I realized that it was beyond my skill level not so much that I thought I couldn't fly it but my wallet said otherwise.

When I spun up that motor I was amazed at how much was being ejected from such a small opening.
I get that adrenalin rush every time I fly something with a year or two of time in it plus the $$$. EDF's do move a lot of air but I prefer props on round motors personally. Electric forced induction could work am I sure. I don't have any idea of reliability or cost to do so, nor do I have much interest as I like NA on the 1zz at that. Just a low rev'n slow poke enjoying the ride.

·
Banned
415 Posts
Here's something much more intelligent to think about.
Electric boost at low rpm to reduce turbo-lag.
It will take about 1,327 times the skills and intelligence of the OP to make this happen.

·
Registered
977 Posts
Electric ? Na, that won't work. Not enough power.

I strapped two Stihl petrol-leafblowers to the car, haven't dynod it yet, but I estimate around 750 hp !

And its reliable, I just have to check the ducttape every time I take it out !

believe it or not an SA performance mag did a test like this for fun, modified a petrol leaf blower and did some runs

1 - 20 of 27 Posts