MR2 SpyderChat banner

1 - 20 of 24 Posts

·
Registered
526 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I am about to order MonkeyWrenchRacing (MWR) eManage Blue (eMB) wiring harnesses - so as to not cut up the stock wiring looms ... plus the software. The harness descriptions don't answer some questions ...

There are only two connector jacks on the eMB rear panel. There are three wiring harnesses on the MWR site (not counting the Pressure Sensor harness):
  1. A/F
  2. Ignition
  3. Injector
I understand that the Ignition and Injector harnesses allow adjusting at 16 (vs. 5 stock) rpm points.

Ok, what about the A/F harness?
--- Is the A/F harness instead of either the "Ignition" or "Injector" harness?
--- If not, where do all these three plug-in ?

The car is normally aspirated i.e. not turbocharged or supercharged - so, no boost pressure sensor will be involved ... probably no wideband sensor, either.

thanks - for whatever insights,

·
Registered
4,789 Posts
If you look at WTS's Emanage sticky at the top of this forum, I thought the Plug and Play boomslang harness ($219) he mentions was the only way to *not* have to cut up the stock harnesses. http://www.boomslang.us/emanage.htm Someone correct me if I'm wrong, but I'm pretty sure the normal emanage harnesses require splicing into the stock wiring, but that you would only need either the boomslang or the emanage harnesses.

·
Registered
7,638 Posts
Without actually looking at the MWR site I would guess by "A/F harness" they mean the MAIN harness containing the power, ground, TPS and AIRFLOW signals. It also covers the INJ terminals so even though there are only two physical plugs (MAIN&IGN) there are three electrical harnesses.

For a N.A setup, I would let fuel trims modulate injector DC and only get the MAIN and IGN harnesses so you can advance the timing to take advantage of premium fuel. There will be suffiicent wires left over from the MAIN to make a INJ harness if you so choose later. However , you absolutely must pin the INJ ground (5th wire) correctly and not to the frame, ECU, battery tray or anywhere else.

AFAIK, autosport and boomslang are the only two harness solutions for the EB&U that preserve the OEM harness. The autosport will need to be hacked up to splice the EM harnesses into it whereas the boomslang is 100% PnP.

Having previously and succesfully hacked my OEM harness for Unchip and Greddy EMS, I highly recommend the Boomslang with all three harness options (MAIN,IGN, INJ) even if F.I. isnt in the current plan.

·
Registered
4,789 Posts
WTS, based on your answer, I'm still not clear 100%...if you get the Boomslang do you also still need the Emanage harnesses in order to plug them into the Boomslang? Or does Boomslang harness take their place as I mentioned it seemed above (i.e. is it a complete package)?

·
Registered
526 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Without actually looking at the MWR site I would guess by "A/F harness" they mean ...
well, looking at the MWR "A/F harness" ad tells one NADA ... the ad says nothing ... which is the, primary, source of my confusion (outside of my inherent stoopidity, of course).

·
Registered
526 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
confirmed unclarity !

WTS, based on your answer, I'm still not clear 100% ...
well, thanks - for the confirmation - that I'm not the only one confused by these obscure ads! :)

·
Registered
6,228 Posts

·
Registered
4,789 Posts
ks, here is the link to the boomslang harness; http://www.boomslang.us/emanage.htm
Galo, I already posted this link above. :p It doesn't give much information on their page, though I noticed it mentions "Each PnP harness is wired with main, injector, and ignition wiring" and from the actual picture of the thing, it looks like it completely takes the place of the regular Emanage harnesses, so I'd say that's a pretty safe guess that you wouldn't need to order both.

Disclaimer: it'd be best for someone to call or email them personally to double check these questions before ordering, I've personally been burned by assuming these types of things in the past.

·
Registered
526 Posts
Discussion Starter #9 (Edited)
why ?

well, why would MWR offer and claim that the point in buying their harnesses is to avoid hacking up the stock harness, IF one still has to hack up the stock harness?

... and who wants to pay $220+ just for a harness (not counting the software or the piggyback, itself) ?

I am SOOOOOooooo confused ! :p

·
Registered
4,789 Posts
well, why would MWR offer and claim that the point in buying their harnesses is to avoid hacking up the stock harness, IF one still has to hack up the stock harness?

... and who wants to pay $220+ just for a harness (not counting the software or the piggyback, itself) ?

I am SOOOOOooooo confused ! :p
Where do they claim this? I don't see that claimed on any of their product information pages, there's little information actually.

For example:
Injector Harness http://store.monkeywrenchracing.com/product_info.php?cPath=43_68_82&products_id=627

If you go to this one they have, the Ultimate Complete Harness http://store.monkeywrenchracing.com/product_info.php?cPath=43_68_82&products_id=632
it says: "To installyour new eManage Ultimate in your car you'll need this universal harness or a Plug n Play harness (if available.)" <-- i.e. Boomslang

So I think the options are (choose only 1, 2, or 3):
1. "Complete Harness" - universal application, requires splicing factory harness + (optional) pressure harness + pressure sensor (each sold separately)

2. Boomslang harness - vehicle specific, requires no splicing, PnP + (optional) pressure harness + pressure sensor (each sold separately)

3. Choose separately any or all of the following depending on what you want: a. Injector harness - universal application, requires splicing factory harness, b. "A/F" harness (air/fuel for hooking up wideband?) - universal application, *unsure if* requires splicing factory harness, c. Ignition harness - universal application, requires splicing factory harness, d. (optional) pressure harness + pressure sensor (each sold separately)

Notes: a. I doubt that the pressure harness requires splicing the factory harness, but likely just plugs directly into the eManage box from the aftermarket MAP sensor, b. the "Complete" and Boomslang harness are composed of integrated Injector, A/F, and Ignition harnesses as a single piece.

That's the way I see it. Does that help? :p

·
Registered
526 Posts
Discussion Starter #11 (Edited)
go to "the horse's mouth"

ok, I've 'Searched ...', read and posted. `looks like it's time to "go straight to the horse's mouth" (i.e. MWR) ... and ask.

I'm (more than) a little surprised that this question was not explored more clearly/definitively ... previously.

·
Registered
4,789 Posts
ok, I've 'Searched ...', read and posted. `looks like it's time to "go straight to the horse's mouth" ... and ask.

I'm (more than) a little surprised that this question was not explored more clearly/definitively ... previously.
Maybe after there is a definitive answer we can get WTS to add it to his eManage sticky.

·
Registered
6,228 Posts
:slap:...yes you did...
The pic shows the entire harness that plugs 1., into the EMB and 2., into the Spyder harness and ECU. It's all one piece, just the separate fasteners for each "harness group". There is no splicing. It's pricey, but if you've never been under the dash(been there :eek: or behind the storage bins) trying to cut, solder and wrap all those wires, I truly believe the cost is worth it. I have an EMB sitting on a table next to me, just waiting for me the have the $'s to put it in...sigh, it's gonna' have to wait a little longer...

·
Registered
526 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
to which harness do you refer ?

The pic shows the entire harness that plugs 1., into the EMB and 2., into the Spyder harness and ECU. It's all one piece, just the separate fasteners for each "harness group". There is no splicing. It's pricey, but if you've never been under the dash(been there :eek: or behind the storage bins) trying to cut, solder and wrap all those wires, I truly believe the cost is worth it. I have an EMB sitting on a table next to me, just waiting for me the have the $'s to put it in...sigh, it's gonna' have to wait a little longer...
Though unclear, I gather that you're referring to a 'Boomslang' harness? ... rather than to the MWR/eManage factory harnesses?

·
Registered
6,228 Posts

·
Registered
4,789 Posts

·
Registered
7,638 Posts
WTS, based on your answer, I'm still not clear 100%...if you get the Boomslang do you also still need the Emanage harnesses in order to plug them into the Boomslang? Or does Boomslang harness take their place as I mentioned it seemed above (i.e. is it a complete package)?
No, with the BS, one does NOT also need the Greddy harness.
Yes, the Boomslang harness IS the emanage harness. No Greddy wiring looms required.

Furthermore, the EMB and EMU harness are different but the EMU is bacward compatible with the EMU harness.

If one upgrades from an EMB to the EMU the existing EMU harness is 100% plug compatible Regardless of whether you handwired the EMB using the Greddy wires or were already using the EMB BS harness. However, the EMU requires a 4TH harness if you want access the new signals such as CPS, ECT and IAT.

Unless I had an SMT I would buy the harness directly from boomslang. Who knows what MRW had them do for their "SMT" edition.

·
Registered
7,638 Posts
Here's what the OEM harness hacked into the three Greddy looms looks like after also previously having had a Unichip spliced into it:
RATS NESTS

Heres the OEM with the Boomslang after.

·
Registered
940 Posts
I'd like to summarize my experience, excuse me for discussing some that's already been stated. The E-Manage Blue has 3 harnesses. Main, Injector and Ignition. The E-Manage Ultimate has 4 harnesses. The previous 3 and an extra 14 pin for the extra features which would be the one you would need if you wanted to upgrade from Blue to Ultimate. Either buy the EMB harness and splice in the 14 pin later if you upgrade or buy the EMU harness all at once to save all worries. The Boomslang harness requires no splicing and extra harness as it is basically extending the OEM harness and other modification needed to connect to the E-Manage. The pressure sensor is extra if choose to use and the A/F harness is for logging Air/Fuel ratio which is also extra. These connect to the optional (boost port). I have the SMT harness connected to my EMB on my MT. It works as Boomslang explained to me the only difference is the SMT ECU requires extra wires to speak and on the MT ECU it would just lead the patched wires to a blank pin on my ECU. This is fine with me as if I were to sell my harness I would appeal to a larger crowd.

·
Registered
526 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
first question ...

Just to be absolutely clear (apparently, my original question wasn't) ...

Do those 3 MonkeyWrenchRacing harnesses have connectors on BOTH ends?

... or do they only have connectors on the eManage end? ... requiring wire hacking on the other end?

1 - 20 of 24 Posts