MR2 SpyderChat banner

1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Im stuck at the Chesapeake house rest area in Maryland off of Maryland 95 I have no idea what is wrong with my car if anyone is willing to help it would be greatly appreciated I can gain or hold speed it's making a weird sucking/ hissing noise and it's devouring has I'm stranded and have no tools any help would be greatly appreciated thanks guys

·
Registered
2,542 Posts
^^ Yup, first and foremost, it sounds like an air box issue, like a break in the flexible joint of the air intake (even if you have a CAI). This happened to my wife's CTS and it had the same hissing sound. It would start but ran poorly as there was a huge air leak. I was able to correct it right in the parking lot where she got stranded. Take a look and see if there's any separations in the air box joints.

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Ok lets get you through this

by the sound of it it sounds like a vacuum leak.

do you have a cold air intake?
when you have the car running is there a check engine light (CEL)?
Is the exhaust louder than normal?

You will need tools someone here might be able to help you locally but you might just get it towed to a mechanic who can hopefully fix the leak. if there is a CEL get to an auto zone and get a code reader to read the code. this will help us help you.
No cold air intake

There is a sonoco here but no mechanic until 2pm. I've been at this rest area since 10pm last night there is also a really bad ticking coming from the engine

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
I just added 3 quarts last night my coolant level is dangerously low so gonna add some the hulling is coming from an exhaust leak feels like its coming from the flex pipes I'm saying screw it I'm going to drive it all the way I only got 350 more miles to go

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
The hissing is coming from the exhaust. I'm going to just go for it I'll keep you up dated

·
Registered
1,003 Posts
bank 1 sensor 1 - i believe thats the 02 (oxygen) sensor and if you have an exhaust leak around where the manifold or header meets the block you are probably running lean.
in my opinion and i work for toyota, its either an exhaust problem or a intake manifold gasket problem!

lets hope its the 02 or exhaust leak, intake manifold gasket required dropping the motor!

as far as oil consumption issues - if your using 1.1 qts per 600 miles you have an oil consumption issue
keep us updated
rburton

·
Registered
26,913 Posts
oil consumption
power loss
exhaust problem
ticking sound

Sounds like precat failure - precat (maybe just the one side) broke apart, explains the O2 sensor, clogged the main cat, backpressure made a preexisting leak worse, engine makes a bad noise, etc.

If that's it, make sure the main cat is replaced after gutting the precats and whatever (like replacement) is done for the engine.

EDIT: He said 3 quart of COOLANT. So maybe it isn't precat death. If it overheated, the engine would make a ticking sound. Maybe I jumped the gun. Check the oil level. See if you have a coolant leak and don't drive it if you do.

·
Registered
781 Posts
I can't say enough for AAA roadside service - my plan comes with 200 miles of free towing. It might be something to look into...

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
Thanks everyone I got to the point where I just said I don't want to damage her anymore so I rented a uhaul and a tow dolly I appreciate all the help everyone shelly isn't dead yet!

·
Registered
2,932 Posts
Thanks everyone I got to the point where I just said I don't want to damage her anymore so I rented a uhaul and a tow dolly I appreciate all the help everyone shelly isn't dead yet!
Shelly isn't dead, but IZZy likely is... now is the time to start planning your 2ZZ swap... Condolences...

·
Registered
781 Posts
Didn't know they had 200 miles. I have a 100 mile free tow.
Do you have Premier or regular? Also, services differ by area...^_^

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
Idk I kinda want to do a k20 idk I have a couple of spare BMW motors laying around so many possibilities

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
Honestly after actually thinking about it if the motor is dead I'm probably going to try and sell her. She was my daily driver so kinda useless now

1 - 20 of 21 Posts