MR2 SpyderChat banner
1 - 20 of 49 Posts

·
Registered
553 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Garage too dark/poorly lit? Mine is. Only one florescent light on the right side of the garage.
Can't find your flashlight/shop light? I have plenty, but the wife keeps using them for who knows what and not putting them back.
Out driving at night and something went wrong with your car but you didn't bring a flashlight? Happens once in a blue moon.

Here's what I did. I had a few LED strips from yesteryear that I found in my garage. Went to Radio Shack and bought a switch. Some soldering and wiring, presto.

LED's looks like this...

I bought these from Hong Kong. They still make them now and most of them over there put them under the door sill to illuminate the ground when the doors are open.

The switch from Radio Shack

Switch installed...

Bay unlit...excuse the LED flashlight shining in from the left.

And the finished product.

I used 2 strips. One on the firewall and the other, smaller strip on the left side of the brace with the latch.

·
Registered
103 Posts
Isn't that cool. Nice...I like it.

I had a friend with a MK1 who really did the car up well....on the interior of the engine bay cover and the frunk cover, he cut mirrors to the size of the non-structured parts of the lid and glued them in. it gave a lot of light (reflective) to the engine compartment and looked really slick.

·
Registered
553 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Thanks guys. I was bored and cleaning the garage and came up with the idea. I pulled it outside tonight and it's pretty bright. If anyone wants to do it the project should cost around 20 usd pending on where you buy your lights.

·
Registered
3,607 Posts
Is the switch set so that the engine lid turns the light off when the lid is shut and the lights come on automatically when the engine lid is opened? I've also thought about doing something like this. Thank you for posting. Gives me more to think about. Is the switch that you used water proof? Thanks again. I look forward to hearing more about this project.

·
Registered
553 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Switch is used only when I want to turn it on. So if I need light I just press it. I don't think it's waterproof. It's just a general switch. From what I can tell water would t be an issue.

·
Registered
7,719 Posts
Sorry, don't feel the love for it! Kinda rice. I have two flashlights in the glovebox and one is magnetic with a hook on it.

However I wonder what it would look like going down the road at night with it lit up.

·
Registered
217 Posts
Sorry, don't feel the love for it! Kinda rice. I have two flashlights in the glovebox and one is magnetic with a hook on it.

However I wonder what it would look like going down the road at night with it lit up.
I don't care what people say but i'll admit whole neons thing is something i actually miss from the "rice" era when it was much more widely accepted as being the in-thing at the time.

The engine bay lighting is a nice more toned down way to get your fix, i have some of these exact same types of LED strips lying around that never really found a purpose... looks like a good way to put them to use.

I could see it going well with a more dressed up engine bay for when you want to show off your engine to your buddies :lol:

·
Registered
23,138 Posts
I don't care what people say but i'll admit whole neons thing is something i actually miss from the "rice" era when it was much more widely accepted as being the in-thing at the time.
It was never an "in-thing" unless you were a ricer who thought everyone else like it. Real enthusiasts laughed at it because it was comical.

·
Registered
5,926 Posts
It should be pointed out that the OP did not suggest driving around with the engine bay lighted up.
He presented it as a utilitarian mod to be used for engine bay inspection at night.

·
Registered
3,643 Posts
With this logic in mind. If I put neon lights under my car and said it was to see if anything is hanging under my car or to help with flat tire removal at night time would it not be functional and for looks too? A flashlight is a Dollar Store item.

·
Registered
23,138 Posts
It should be pointed out that the OP did not suggest driving around with the engine bay lighted up.
He presented it as a utilitarian mod to be used for engine bay inspection at night.
I see nothing wrong with that and to each their own. I personally never had a situation where I needed to check under the engine at night but then again everyone circumstances are different.

In regards to the confusion of what is fictional or not that is not the issue.

It really comes down to what is tasteful and what is ugly. And by ugly I mean cartoonish.

·
Registered
729 Posts
Agreed, he found some simple LEDS, a switch, and made it work for him. Can't argue with that.

·
Registered
553 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 · (Edited)
Some will like it, some will hate on it. Who cares. It works for me. I'm a disorganized lone ranger. I like to work on my car by myself. I go to the track by myself most of the time. So I do things that accommodates my needs. I have 10 flashlights, ranging in size and brightness. So not having a flashlight is not an issue. Like I stated before though, I have no idea where they are when I need them.

Some call it rice. So what. I only use it when I need it. My garage is not as bright as I would like it.

I think the TRD Lip kit is rice. But thats just me. It flares out too much. But most of you rock it. Some would consider installing a aftermarket tach is rice. And again, up to you and your taste. Some will call a loud muffler on a slow 1zz rice. If you like all stock and nothing but stock. More power to you.

BTW the light is actually white with a tint of blue. The camera didn't capture it correctly.

1 - 20 of 49 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.