MR2 SpyderChat banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello, help needed. My 2003 spyder with 80000 miles has died on me in traffic a few times in the past month. It dies at when I am at idle at traffic lights. Toyota wanted to replace the whole computer system, no thanks. I took it to a reputable garage in the area who told me it was a paddle problem. He disconnected the paddle to prevent shifting on the steering wheel but it eliminated my horn and cruise. He believes this is the problem to a tune of $500 for a new paddle. Of course, he cannot guarantee me the paddle is the solution. Nor can he guarantee me it won't happen again.

Have any spyder owners had this problem and your solution? Thanks for the help, dan

·
Registered
1,029 Posts
I don't think the paddles are your problem. You described a "grinding noise" when the car is off in another post. I think your HPU may be worn if it's making a grinding noise (supposed to sound similar to an aquarium pump). It should run roughly 10-30 seconds after you open the door, any longer and its a good sign it's not building enough pressure to operate the SMT clutch system.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #3

Thanks for the information, I will give that a try. Any thoughts on the paddle issue. My car dies in traffic, I am ready to sell the car if I can't fix it due to its unreliability. Thanks again, dan

·
Registered
1,029 Posts
Really don't think its a paddle problem, I think your clutch isn't fully engaging at a stop due to low pressure. If you're talking about stop and go traffic, the paddle has no job during that time unless your hitting second gear.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts