MR2 SpyderChat banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Does anyone have a copy of the Toyota TSB concerning the “stuck engine latch” on the 2000 - 2002 Spyders? My latch has been difficult to open and today it finally got to the point where I can’t open it. From the forums here it appears that I should replace the original latch with one from the 2003 Spyder. Looking at the Toyota parts list online, it looks like Toyota now sells only one latch for 2000 - 2003 Spyders so that looks like the ultimate fix. I am also surprised that Toyota did not provide an alternate means to open the engine hood in the event that the cable actually broke. I have seen the coat hanger solution here. Thanks in advance.

·
Registered
2,712 Posts
I think it's the cable stretching more than the latch . A lot of people use a tie wrap between the end of the cable and the latch to take up some slack . Also if you push out the upper rear grill you can reach thru and pull the cable and pop the lid .

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I think it's the cable stretching more than the latch . A lot of people use a tie wrap between the end of the cable and the latch to take up some slack . Also if you push out the upper rear grill you can reach thru and pull the cable and pop the lid .
Thank you for the input. Using a tie wrap sounds like a good idea. It does sound like the cable has stretched and some other articles indicate that the latch lever by the drivers seat can also bend if pulled too hard. Still have to open the lid with either a coat hanger or trying to pull the cable from by the lever in the passenger compartment.

·
Registered
2,712 Posts
I of my buddies use to use a tennis ball to hold the lever up then lift the engine lid up . Sometimes that helps holding the lever up .

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
I of my buddies use to use a tennis ball to hold the lever up then lift the engine lid up . Sometimes that helps holding the lever up .
Sounds like a good way to tighten the cable in order to use a coat hanger to initially open the lid. Thanks.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
if your car is an 03+, then it's the cable.
if it's an 02 or earlier, it's the release pull in the passenger compartment and maybe the cable.
I should have indicated that mine is a 2000 Spyder. Will be checking the pull and the cable. Thanks.

·
Registered
2,071 Posts
Thank you for the input. Using a tie wrap sounds like a good idea. It does sound like the cable has stretched and some other articles indicate that the latch lever by the drivers seat can also bend if pulled too hard. Still have to open the lid with either a coat hanger or trying to pull the cable from by the lever in the passenger compartment.
We have a 2002 that has had the problem for years. The lever release was checked to make sure it wasn't bent and the latch was changed. For a long time, opening was either a 2 person project or something had to be put under the release lever to hold it up and then the engine cover lifted slightly. The only real fix was the cable tie

·
Registered
1,333 Posts
If fully pulling the lever does not open the lid, but propping the lever and lifting does, then it sounds like there is actually not enough spring force under the lid. I would try raising the rubber bumpers.

·
Registered
2,071 Posts
If fully pulling the lever does not open the lid, but propping the lever and lifting does, then it sounds like there is actually not enough spring force under the lid. I would try raising the rubber bumpers.
That worked for about a day. The latch just didn't pull enough to get the latch spring to push up the engine cover

·
Registered
1 Posts
Are you positive it's not just a lubrication issue?
I had the same problem for many years on my 2001 Spyder. Recently, I removed the latch from inside the engine compartment and thoroughly cleaned and lubricated the mechanism. Ever since, it has worked perfectly. So, I believe lubrication is the issue. The latch simply needs monthly attention to keep it working smoothly.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Does anyone have a copy of the Toyota TSB concerning the “stuck engine latch” on the 2000 - 2002 Spyders? My latch has been difficult to open and today it finally got to the point where I can’t open it. From the forums here it appears that I should replace the original latch with one from the 2003 Spyder. Looking at the Toyota parts list online, it looks like Toyota now sells only one latch for 2000 - 2003 Spyders so that looks like the ultimate fix. I am also surprised that Toyota did not provide an alternate means to open the engine hood in the event that the cable actually broke. I have seen the coat hanger solution here. Thanks in advance.
Been there done that. Get a 12" 3/8" or 1/4" drive extension and it will pass through the grill and remove the two bolts holding the latch assembly.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Additionally replacing the engine hood cable is not easy. Must remove the R rear tire and plastic splash guard go through the firewall down behind the carpet behind the seats then along the door sill to the release lever. Difficult to almost impossible to access the bolts to release the lever assembly. Found it impossible to reattach the lever assembly with the original bolts - just too tight. Went to body bolts and they with their tapered ends and they started right away. Lots of plastic needs to be removed to get behind the carpet behind the seats. This could easily be two hours of labor if you took it to a dealer which locally would run you about $250 for the labor alone.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts
About this Discussion
13 Replies
8 Participants
TJK
MR2 SpyderChat
SpyderChat Forum is a community for Toyota MR2 Spyder Enthusiasts to discuss specs, reliability and more!
Full Forum Listing