MR2 SpyderChat banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
137 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I've had my engine lid repainted previously and since then there has been a slow leak anytime it rains. When looking at the lid itself it appears that everything is as it should be. Nothing appears to be missing or loose. After raining, when you open the hood there is water that has collected on the cylinder head where the spark plugs connect, specifically above #3 and #4 on the right side to the point where the spark plug is submerged. I'd take it to the original body shop, but I had this work done in Los Angeles (I'm in San Francisco now) and it's a bit far for them to take a look at. I've tried having my local mechanic look at it and he can't seem to figure out where the water is seeping in. The water sitting like this has been rusting my spark plugs which I've had to replace them once already since this began. We've put a water hose directly on that tray in the center of the engine lid and water is funneling down properly. Is there a seal between the mid-read brake light on the engine lid? I'm wondering if it's missing or broken? My mechanic says if I could provide him a diagram of the engine lid it would help him better diagnose. Does anyone have a copy they could forward? It would be greatly appreciated!

·
Registered
782 Posts

·
Registered
740 Posts
I had this problem when I did the 2zz swap. Water was resting over the spark plugs. You need to buy a spark plug cover like the lotus cover to prevent water from accumulating there.

Good luck
Rasheed

·
Registered
137 Posts
Discussion Starter #4

·
Registered
137 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
I had this problem when I did the 2zz swap. Water was resting over the spark plugs. You need to buy a spark plug cover like the lotus cover to prevent water from accumulating there.

Good luck
Rasheed
hmmm, so you're saying all 2zz swaps will have water accumulate there no matter what is the condition of the engine lid? where would i get a lotus cover? any recommendations?

·
Registered
9,798 Posts
hmmm, so you're saying all 2zz swaps will have water accumulate there no matter what is the condition of the engine lid? where would i get a lotus cover? any recommendations?
The lotus cover helps but your lid shouldn't be leaking if they put back the shield thats right under the vents in the lid. You could get the lotus cover on a lotus forum or dealer direct.

·
Registered
137 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
The lotus cover helps but your lid shouldn't be leaking if they put back the shield thats right under the vents in the lid. You could get the lotus cover on a lotus forum or dealer direct.
Yeah, the shield thats right under the vents in the lid was put back and isn't loose. We ran a water hose directly on this and the water poured in the right direction and didnt spill over on to the spark plugs. I'll still be double checking that seal with brake light.

·
Registered
137 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
I believe even a 1zz without a cover would face similar problems.

Here is a link to where you can buy one,

http://www.lotusgarage.com/shop/index.php?l=product_list&c=120

Rasheed

Edit: I already assumed you had the engine "tray" already installed. I have it installed with the lotus cover.
I've never had this issue with my previous 1zz and I've had this car since 2000. It was only since I've had the 2zz and/or the engine lid repainted.

Thanks for the link! There's not by chance a version made by any fellow spyderchatters that would sport the MR2 emblem instead of Lotus?

·
Registered
998 Posts
I've never had this issue with my previous 1zz and I've had this car since 2000. It was only since I've had the 2zz and/or the engine lid repainted.

Thanks for the link! There's not by chance a version made by any fellow spyderchatters that would sport the MR2 emblem instead of Lotus?
The Lotus emblem can easily be sanded off.

·
Registered
137 Posts
Discussion Starter #11

·
Registered
137 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Does anyone know the part number of that rubber seal? It's missing from my car and I'm sure that's where it's leaking from.
I went to Toyota parts and they couldn't figure out the exact part number. He thinks it's this: 90950-01866. Can anybody confirm this?

·
Registered
137 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
I believe even a 1zz without a cover would face similar problems.

Here is a link to where you can buy one,

http://www.lotusgarage.com/shop/index.php?l=product_list&c=120

Rasheed

Edit: I already assumed you had the engine "tray" already installed. I have it installed with the lotus cover.
Lotus cover just came in the mail, but it's not exactly direct bolt on. The studs on the motor are too short. Any suggestions on how to get this installed?

·
Registered
740 Posts
Lotus cover just came in the mail, but it's not exactly direct bolt on. The studs on the motor are too short. Any suggestions on how to get this installed?
Yes it isn't.

What I did was the following,
1) I unscrewed the two short studs between the park plugs.
2) I bought longer studs from a hardware store (Stainless steel).
3) I cut the heads off.
4) Screwed each stud where the short ones used to be.
5) I mounted the cover over and used stainless steel hex nuts.

Rasheed

1 - 14 of 14 Posts