MR2 SpyderChat banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

· Premium Member
879 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Per the title.

So, 20 year old, baked heat matting under the engine lid is seriously gross. Like falling apart, disintegrating in places gross. And rodents sometimes love it (haven't run into that yet, knock on wood).

It's gotta go.

Most common fixes I've seen;

1. new OEM (these are starting to get sparse)

2. adhesive thermal matting

I'm considering #2, with maybe making some provisions to enable removal and reuse in places that cover any wiring (e.g. lid brake light loom). However, I'm game to see what else there is.

I did search, I promise - just wanna hear from other Chatters - plus, we lost a lot of threads and info a bit back, I guess.

Did you replace your ratty old mats? What was your solution?

TIA!

· Premium Member
879 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Ooo. ZircoFlex (Zircotec) is some nice looking stuff.. except for the price. 😅

· Premium Member
879 Posts
Discussion Starter · #22 ·
You can still get the factory pieces they are expensive to me.
Yup. Some suppliers are out of one or the other, however.

Ultimately, I agree - they're expensive. I'd rather spend that on a more durable solution, if possible.

· Premium Member
879 Posts
Discussion Starter · #27 ·
What if you cut plastic sheet or door card out to the correct shape? Then applied Dynamat flat to the shapes. Then just use the same Toyota method to put them back on?
Yup, that's an idea.

I was thinking of making some modular pieces just for where the matting usually overlays any looms. Depends on the weight, IMO.

Could just do the full pieces as you suggest, though! That may be better so as not to trap anything semi-permanently behind a piece that is bonded.

Anyway - will post up when I decide!

· Premium Member
879 Posts
Discussion Starter · #30 ·
That's a great idea!
Agreed. Certainly keeps them from fraying or separating at the edges.

I still haven't decided what to do, myself. They're not in such bad shape that it's an emergent situation, just one of those things on "the list."

Sidenote: I motion to formally call our to-do lists re our cars “The Dman™ List.”

Ah, nostalgia.

· Premium Member
879 Posts
Discussion Starter · #36 ·
Mine were still good also till the pack rats got them. Rat bstrds
Grr! Buncha jerks. I hate rats (just the damage, mind you).

As part of my semi-winterizing, I've tossed peppermint oil sachets (of a sort) into trunks and footwell (or behind seat storage) of any cars that are only seeing periodic use for now.

Fox pee would probably work, but then again... fox pee. =|

The peppermint oil seems to work (knock on matting) - I'm only dealing with mice, however - though if I could choose, I'll sacrifice air filters and engine blankets over wiring damage. Rue the day I should ever find that..

1 - 6 of 6 Posts