MR2 SpyderChat banner
21 - 37 of 37 Posts

·
Premium Member
769 Posts
Discussion Starter · #22 ·
You can still get the factory pieces they are expensive to me.
Yup. Some suppliers are out of one or the other, however.

Ultimately, I agree - they're expensive. I'd rather spend that on a more durable solution, if possible.

·
Registered
2,442 Posts
Yup. Some suppliers are out of one or the other, however.

Ultimately, I agree - they're expensive. I'd rather spend that on a more durable solution, if possible.
Mine are 20 yrs old (21 now...Jesus) & still going strong. I wonder if a closed cell foam with a high R-value would be a good alternative for those not wanting the reflectix/silver lined look

·
Premium Member
769 Posts
Discussion Starter · #27 ·
What if you cut plastic sheet or door card out to the correct shape? Then applied Dynamat flat to the shapes. Then just use the same Toyota method to put them back on?
Yup, that's an idea.

I was thinking of making some modular pieces just for where the matting usually overlays any looms. Depends on the weight, IMO.

Could just do the full pieces as you suggest, though! That may be better so as not to trap anything semi-permanently behind a piece that is bonded.

Anyway - will post up when I decide!

·
Premium Member
769 Posts
Discussion Starter · #30 ·
That's a great idea!
Agreed. Certainly keeps them from fraying or separating at the edges.

I still haven't decided what to do, myself. They're not in such bad shape that it's an emergent situation, just one of those things on "the list."

Sidenote: I motion to formally call our to-do lists re our cars “The Dman™ List.”

Ah, nostalgia.

·
Registered
969 Posts
I also don't have any heat shield nor foam under the lid of my 2zz, just the rain guard.
@merlinyoda, how long did you engine lid last before you had to repaint it?
Mine does not even have the drip tray :p

I reduced the temp. in the engine bay so it´s all not needed.
With it all standard however I would stick reflective foil under the deck. That will not dampen any sound though.

·
Premium Member
769 Posts
Discussion Starter · #36 ·
Mine were still good also till the pack rats got them. Rat bstrds
Grr! Buncha jerks. I hate rats (just the damage, mind you).

As part of my semi-winterizing, I've tossed peppermint oil sachets (of a sort) into trunks and footwell (or behind seat storage) of any cars that are only seeing periodic use for now.

Fox pee would probably work, but then again... fox pee. =|

The peppermint oil seems to work (knock on matting) - I'm only dealing with mice, however - though if I could choose, I'll sacrifice air filters and engine blankets over wiring damage. Rue the day I should ever find that..

·
Registered
1,992 Posts
Grr! Buncha jerks. I hate rats (just the damage, mind you).

As part of my semi-winterizing, I've tossed peppermint oil sachets (of a sort) into trunks and footwell (or behind seat storage) of any cars that are only seeing periodic use for now.

Fox pee would probably work, but then again... fox pee. =|

The peppermint oil seems to work (knock on matting) - I'm only dealing with mice, however - though if I could choose, I'll sacrifice air filters and engine blankets over wiring damage. Rue the day I should ever find that..
Sorry to hear that a lot of you guys have to winterize your cars. Can’t imagine having to do that every year. I was actually driving my car last night with the top down, mostly to avoid moving the top and tearing it any further. It was a little chilly out but not a problem with the heater on.
Unfortunately, the rats are a huge problem where I live. Some are about 6 times as big as mice and can chew through a complete wire harness. Speaking of air filters, this is where part of my hood mats went.
Hood Motor vehicle Automotive lighting Automotive tire Bumper

21 - 37 of 37 Posts