MR2 SpyderChat banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
137 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I've had my engine lid repainted previously and since then there has been a slow leak anytime it rains. When looking at the lid itself it appears that everything is as it should be. Nothing appears to be missing or loose. After raining, when you open the hood there is water that has collected on the cylinder head where the spark plugs connect, specifically above #3 and #4 on the right side to the point where the spark plug is submerged. I'd take it to the original body shop, but I had this work done in Los Angeles (I'm in San Francisco now) and it's a bit far for them to take a look at. I've tried having my local mechanic look at it and he can't seem to figure out where the water is seeping in. The water sitting like this has been rusting my spark plugs which I've had to replace them once already since this began. We've put a water hose directly on that tray in the center of the engine lid and water is funneling down properly. Is there a seal between the mid-read brake light on the engine lid? I'm wondering if it's missing or broken? My mechanic says if I could provide him a diagram of the engine lid it would help him better diagnose. Does anyone have a copy they could forward? It would be greatly appreciated!

·
Registered
2,143 Posts
I never thought the engine lid was suppose to keep the engine dry at all times, just prevent excessive water from hitting the engine / headers while it was hot or being driven and preventing warping or other damage during driving or right after you park. You should have that plastic engine cover with the Toyota logo on it that prevents the water from going where your spark plugs are to prevent the rust there.

·
Registered
162 Posts
As far as I know, water will get in no matter what, just not large amounts. There should be rubber seals on your coil packs to keep most of the water out if not all, plus your plastic engine cover. I have an extra laying around if you want it.

Looking at mine, I have a rubber lining that runs along the back of the engine bay where the soft top ends (kinda). That would be my only guess....

·
Registered
16,748 Posts
Yes, the cylinder head cover is obviously missing on this motor. Get the part and affix it.

·
Registered
3,812 Posts
Your question was answered on the other forum. No need to the post same question in multiple forums. Get a lotus spark plug cover, they work pretty good.

·
Registered
709 Posts
I think mine gets a little wet there and I only notice it when I wash my car.

I think maybe the engine gets hot causing the water to evaporate.

·
Registered
2,851 Posts
A stock cover would do the trick but there are a few options, I got one from a guy on newcelica for really cheap, custom design and everything and mine have been bone dry since. I lost my drip tray at some point but I like this much better because you can see the engine with the lid closed and I like to believe it allows better airflow.

-Spargo

PS just remembered his name is "Horty"

·
Registered
181 Posts
A stock cover would do the trick but there are a few options, I got one from a guy on newcelica for really cheap, custom design and everything and mine have been bone dry since. I lost my drip tray at some point but I like this much better because you can see the engine with the lid closed and I like to believe it allows better airflow.

-Spargo

PS just remembered his name is "Horty"
It would be very nice to see a photo of it..

1 - 11 of 11 Posts