MR2 SpyderChat banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
221 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi all,

I was just wondering, if one has a 2000-2002 spyder and the engine blows up, will putting in a 2003+ engine kick you out of STR or Stock?

I would say yes, but then again the bad piston engines are probably superseded by Toyota, and there is no performance benefit, maybe it counts as a replacement part and not an engine swap/update. If you buy a short block from Toyota for a 2000-2002 they are going to sell you one of the new ones, they don't stock the bad design any more I wouldn't think.

Thoughts?

take care,

GM

·
Registered
2,575 Posts
You can use the newer motor if the part number for the new engine has superceded the old one.

In this case, the early engine (11400‑22060) has been superceded by the "revised piston ring" engine in February 2002 (11400‑22061), which is the engine that carried the MR2 through 2005.

So in this case, you'd be fine, since the rules are okay with part numbers that have been superceded.

As far as corolla and other engines, absolutely not. Even the short block carries a different part number.

·
Registered
221 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·

·
Premium Member
4,484 Posts
This is certainly not my expertise but I would guess no you would be fine.

The reason being is that federal law allows for replacement engines that must be the same year or newer for any car to have the engine swap be legal.

upgrades to engine design (oil retention rings as example) are not performance but functional upgrades. Moreover in our case I recall the TSB that called for a reflash of the ECU that went along with the upgraded engine. this dealt with A/F ratios and the car running too rich (possibly putting stress on the precats causing them to break down).

In any case if an identical engine type is put in even if it is newer than the car it is still stock. Also remember that the 1zz in the spyder was solely JDM and others from corollas, matrixes.... were slightly different (valve sizes mostly but mounting holes and other changes as well)

this latter issue would be more concerning for me. I also fully agree that a new replacement short block or complete engine would in fact be of the newer design.

I think that if it is a spyder 1zz no one can find fault with that. A swap from an different car (and hence different flavor of 1zz that opens the door)
DarkDay, what did you do with T-bone?

·
Premium Member
4,484 Posts
You can use the newer motor if the part number for the new engine has superceded the old one.

In this case, the early engine (11400‑22060) has been superceded by the "revised piston ring" engine in February 2002 (11400‑22061), which is the engine that carried the MR2 through 2005.

So in this case, you'd be fine, since the rules are okay with part numbers that have been superceded.

As far as corolla and other engines, absolutely not. Even the short block carries a different part number.
plus you wouldn't want to do that anyway, as the corolla version has smaller valves, weaker rods, etc.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts