MR2 SpyderChat banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
152 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello all,

I have a 2001 Black Spyer in pretty good condition, I love it. It runs well but has 132,000 miles and uses some oil with 0 leaks.

I am wondering how long the engine will last and have begun to consider seeking a replacement engine. Can I install something (or have installed) something else with more HP and if so, would I have to upgrade the trans or anything else?

My ideal situation would be being able to drive in someplace that does this have old engine removed and new one installed (not dealership) at a reasonable price.

·
Registered
4,523 Posts
Contact NASA, i believe they have a few spare engines kicking around after the demise of the space shuttle programme.
You should be able to pick up one cheap, though admittedly they are rather high mileage.
You should see some excellent HP gains, though gas economy may be poor.
Any compotent shop will be able to do the swap in an hour or two, so budget about $200 for labour charges.

Alternatively you could look through previous topics as this has been covered more times than sweetpete has visited the bus station.

·
Registered
526 Posts
i think NASA would be the sensible solution. tell them to stuff an LS7 in there but be sure to mount it backwards so u can run the driveshaft up to the front of the car.:eek:

ok in all seriousness, welcome aboard. Old Man, being the nice guy that he is, aimed you in the right direction. read up man, then read some more! there is more usefull information on this site then you can shake a stick at. odds are all the Noob questions you have are already covered (as stated above).

if you have a pree 03 car with 120k plus i would keep a close eye on that oil consumption. as it is directly linked to pre-cat failure.gut those PRE-CATS asap. there is how to links about gutting pre-cats. just to be sure i will say it one more time......GUT PRE-CATS

edit: oops i strayed. if you want to replace your engine for SOMETHING with more power, you have the money & resources, this COULD be a good idea. but for now i highly suggest getting to know your car, in its current state. the old saying holds true, if it aint broke dont fix it.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts