MR2 SpyderChat banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
33 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
i just bought a 2000 mr2 spyder and needs a engine. i know its a 1zz-fe and was wondering if the engine of a 2002 corolla can be put in there? any help will be greatly appreciated

·
Registered
782 Posts
Fe / fed

The spyder came with a 1ZZ-fed (engine built in Japan), you also have the 1zz-fe (built in the states) found in the matrix/ corolla. I thought my spyder had the same engine as my matrix when I bought it but found out differently. There are slight differences, the fed has slightly larger valves. You'll have to do some research but I think either on will work. A lot of people on this forum are very knowledgeable on this subject and can probably help you out.

·
Registered
26,913 Posts
2ZZ-GE works, too, but you will need some extra parts to make that work. You'll also need a different header, intake, ECU, some wiring changes, an engine mount, different serpentine belt, a few other things. It is all well documented. Well worth it! 2ZZ-GE is a sweet engine with a bonus 40+ extra HP at high RPM - oh and much higher redline.

·
Registered
33 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
2ZZ-GE works, too, but you will need some extra parts to make that work. You'll also need a different header, intake, ECU, some wiring changes, an engine mount, different serpentine belt, a few other things. It is all well documented. Well worth it! 2ZZ-GE is a sweet engine with a bonus 40+ extra HP at high RPM - oh and much higher redline.
i found a engine from a 2003 celica gts that has the 2zz-fe with 49k miles and 6 speed manual. i called the guy and told him i was going to take a look at it this saturday. what things will i have to change to swap from my 1zz to the 2zz?

·
Registered
614 Posts
i just bought a 2000 mr2 spyder and needs a engine. i know its a 1zz-fe and was wondering if the engine of a 2002 corolla can be put in there? any help will be greatly appreciated
Yes but do know the following. You will have to carry over a few parts from your old engine. Most noticeable is the passenger side motor mount is different. So don't just toss out the old one right away.

Semi low mile engine can be found for 800-1800 dollars. Do know while it's easy to just slap in a new engine it might be a good idea to replace all the major seals and gaskets while it's out this will cost you roughly 350 from the dealer.

2zz swap/upgrade should also be considered. But do know you will have to add atleast 1000 to your restore budget. Yet it's the "cheapest/easiest" method of getting more power while retaining reliability. Done yourself you will be looking at a baseline of 3400 to do. Yes can be done cheaper but that's dependent on how cheap you get the parts.

·
Registered
4,120 Posts
I'm keeping tabs of what I've spent so far on the swap and what I have sold "swap" related. To see what the actual cost is. My motor and transmission are still good so once I sell those I'll deduct that from my actual dollar spent to see my difference.

·
Registered
33 Posts
Discussion Starter #10 (Edited)
im planing on buying the 2zz and the 6 speed tran and taking it to a mechanic. or would it just be easyer if i just put the 2zz on the mr2s 5 speed tran?

·
Registered
1,733 Posts
im planing on buying the 2zz and the 6 speed tran and taking it to a mechanic. or would it just be easyer if i just put the 2zz on the mr2s 5 speed tran?
Is this a mechanic that has done engine swaps on a Spyder before? Or, has an interest in learning how to do an engine swap on a Spyder?

·
Registered
33 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
hes never did a mr2 spyder swap but he did swap an engine for my 2003 rav4. the engine that was blown was a 2.0 so i bought an engine from another 2003 rav4 but that one was a 2.4 and he swaped them out and works great. thats why i want to take my mr2 to him

·
Registered
1,772 Posts
Taking it to (someone who calls himself) a mechanic is risky. Too often they are long on confidence and short of experience (and I might add intelligence) and think they can just wade in and figure it out on the fly. In other words, they're learning on your dime, while you are paying them by the hour for trying to figure out and correcting thier mistakes (if you're lucky). I dare say there are many more regretful Spyder owners who have gone done that road, than ones who got lucky and are completely satisfied taking a chance with the experience of trusting an unknown wrench.

·
Registered
614 Posts
You did look into the few extra bits that you will need to make this swap possible??

Items such as the pass side motor mount bracket, oil dipstick, ecu, harness patch (make sure the person selling you the 2zz includes a harness), some mods to the trans. Parts can be found here.

http://www.monkeywrenchracing.com/index.php?cPath=43_143

·
Registered
23,066 Posts

·
Registered
614 Posts
Just in case the guy wanted to repin the entire harness and pass on the mwr plug in kit. There is a service where you send out both harnesses out and get back one nicely made harness. Cost is roughly 80 dollars more then the mwr plug kit and looks cleaner.

·
Registered
23,066 Posts
Just in case the guy wanted to repin the entire harness and pass on the mwr plug in kit. There is a service where you send out both harnesses out and get back one nicely made harness. Cost is roughly 80 dollars more then the mwr plug kit and looks cleaner.
Did not know that. Sounds like good alternative.

1 - 17 of 17 Posts