MR2 SpyderChat banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I recently purchased an MR2 spyder. I know it isnt perfect but my mechanic said its good enough.

anyways, my engine has a ticking noise that i noticed when i first test drove it. The tick is the loudest when the car is cold, idling and on low rpms but the sound disappears when i rev the car over 3k or 4k rpms. when the engine warms up, it gets quiet to a point where i dont notice it anymore even when im idling. The car has a check engine light on for a cat failure so im not sure if the tick is related to the cat at all. Also the car had an after market exhaust and im not sure if bad installation can also be the cause of it.

the car only has 108k miles on the odometer and doesnt seem like it lacks power.

anyone had a similar experience?

·
Registered
4,355 Posts
Do you have an actual "Engine Tick" like you title this thread, or is it a "Ticking from Engine" like you reported here.

Depending on which one you really have, you should review the recently revived sticky-pinned thread "Diagnosing Engine Bay Noises" (or is it "Diagnosing Rattles from Engine Bay" or something like that) it will give you something to go on. Really when it comes to your situation, there is not much that anyone can add to that thread

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Update: the tick sounded like a lifter tick. I swapped the headers out and the sound is gone. Its probably something to do with a warped gasket maybe

·
Registered
866 Posts
Yeah exhaust leaks are like that - loud when cold and then go away as the heat expands the header flange and gasket material.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts