MR2 SpyderChat banner

1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
1,030 Posts
A part of me thought, oh great, another spyder gone to waste. But I've been thinking, when we do run out of cheap (lol) oil, then what? Good that someone's thinking about it. Any guesses as to what year the 2ZZ swap is no longer common, and EV swaps are what littlerocket is doing?

·
Registered
26,913 Posts
That's not incredibly impressive engineering for a factory, but would rate an A in a college engineering class. Think of how affordable this would be (nevermind the iPad steering feature - just the electric conversion) compared to what Toyota will probably do (a very expensive hybrid). It isn't ugly, either, except for the "cool electric blue" bits.

·
Registered
977 Posts
looks very cool, a nice idea, ill keep it in mind cos i want to keep my MR for a long time, so ill still be able to drive it when the oil runs out lol, but the remote steerin is a bit overboard, lol like a big RC car

·
Registered
1,016 Posts
I think it is impressive that our little light weight cars are candidates for something this cool. As EV becomes more compelling and affordable, it makes sense that light weight cars would be sought after. That is a diffferent source of value.

MR2 Spyder Curb Weight: 2195 lbs (*specs from spyderchat.com)

new camaro curb weight 3780

mustang curb weight 3632

dodge charger curb weight 3961 (* specs from http://www.leftlanenews.com/)

I swear that American producers must figure profit margins by the pound.

·
Registered
362 Posts
badass.... take the battery from the tesla and retro it into this one and bam roadster for maybe 1/3 the price...

then again the battery on the tesla probably cost as much as 2 spyders!

·
Registered
1,030 Posts
new camaro curb weight 3780
mustang curb weight 3632
dodge charger curb weight 3961
I swear that American producers must figure profit margins by the pound.

Things sold by the ounce... much more exciting than things sold by the pound. ^_^

·
Registered
1,016 Posts
Things sold by the ounce... much more exciting than things sold by the pound. ^_^
Lushman, I know. I feel "Unpatriotic" when I see, or merely think that the cars coming off US assembly lines today are a joke. I can see how these 2011 muscle cars look "cool" today.... but I can so easily see how they will look like Al Bundy's mighty dodge from the 1970's in about 4 years ... big hunks of crap. This is merely my humbe opinion.

v8 and 4K lbs. Reminds me of the 1977 impala I learned to drive in.<_<

·
Registered
1,016 Posts
T-bone, I don't know for sure. I was guestimating based on my recollection of the size and displacement. I looked on wiki after reading your post and they mention that the 77 models through early 80's were built with smaller blocks and the car size was reduced, length wise, for fuel economy reasons.

I should have mentioned that I was in a stationwagon. My padre' bought a gold chevy wagon. I wish I had a picture of it. I actually had one where I posed in front of the driver's side body damage where I side swiped some poor guy (also in a big old car.)

This from http://auto.howstuffworks.com/chevrolet-impala20.htm (where they do cite motor trend as awarding chevy on reduced sizes during that time period)

1977 Chevrolet Impala and Caprice Facts

Model Impala

Weight range (lbs.) 3,533-4,072

Price range (new) $4,876-$5,406

Number built 320,279

Although I would stand up for anyone's right to buy any vehicle they wanted; I just am not a fan of big cars. i am not a fan of crappy gas mileage. I understand the need for trucks... but I am continually amazed to see trucks with showroom perfect beds, pristine bumper hitches, which leads me to believe people just wanted a big vehicle and are not, in fact, hauling hay, horses or boats.

I get excited about vehicles like this EV MR2, or the Tesla because they show innovation that is not just efficient, but aesthetically appealing as well. I don't like the prius, looks like a bread box to me... but an electric Deuce...now let's talk!

·
Registered
708 Posts
Maybe it can be posible to put 1 of this electric motors on each wheel, so theoretically you can have 400hp and awd.

·
Registered
587 Posts
What about a nuclear powered MR2 I would think that should be able to produce and ungodly amount of power but I'm no expert. I think there has been great advances made with electric cars up to this point but all the cars that have a fair amount of HP need to be charged after just a few miles. Having an electric car that doesnt need to be refueled for 10-20 years would be nice. I refer to our ships used in the navy, fueled by nuclear power. Maybe there is some thing to be learned from them. In the end I believe our great government doesnt want a plutonium reactor falling in to the wrong hands. This is why we probably will never see a nuclear powered car but it's nice to dream.

·
Registered
663 Posts
i agree, lightwieght cars may be sought after in the future. the car sounds like it has a supercharger but doesnt drive like one. i still would sacrifice performance for more economical car anytime.

·
Registered
1,016 Posts
1 - 20 of 20 Posts