MR2 SpyderChat banner

1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
243 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Correct me if I am wrong but for our spyders..... Are there actually exhaust out there rather than the stock that doesn't drone inside the car? would like to replace it with something lighter with a deeper tone without the drone.

my question is about the drone noise inside the car. In my BMW I put a magnaflow on and it drones like crazy so I took it out.

With the Mr2 I wanted to throw on a exhaust probably Che's dual but scared that the noise would be very loud inside the car.

Set up thinking about is keeping everything stock except the dual che's canister and my custom headers for our precat purpose.

Thanks

·
Super Moderator
3,303 Posts
Megan exhaust

·
Registered
1,115 Posts
Like the above post: I also like Che's Dual canister Lotus Style for sound and also had a significant bump in noise when temporarily using the high flow cat.

We have several threads like this...search around to see more input.

As I always insist in these threads: Try filling your rear compartment with something light and effective (e.g. a used goose down comforter or 3 normal blankets). This works great even in soft tops.

The next and most significant noise reduction is an $OEM Hardtop$. ;)

Oh except many of us insist on earbud headphones if you are doing long distance @ 80mph.

·
Registered
243 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Not sure as to what you are asking about?
my question is about the drone noise inside the car. In my BMW I put a magnaflow on and it drones like crazy so I took it out.

With the Mr2 I wanted to throw on a exhaust probably Che's dual but scared that the noise would be very loud inside the car.

Set up thinking about is keeping everything stock except the dual che's canister and my custom headers for our precat purpose.

Thanks

·
Registered
120 Posts
Have a stock exhaust with Che's dual canisters. Wasn't to loud at first and got a bit louder as the miles went by, which has since leveled off. It's definitely a noticible change. I was orginally somewhat disappointed in that the exhaust wasn't louder, however it seems just right now, at least to me. Control the sound with your right foot, which is a lot of fun.

·
Registered
243 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Have a stock exhaust with Che's dual canisters. Wasn't to loud at first and got a bit louder as the miles went by, which has since leveled off. It's definitely a noticible change. I was orginally somewhat disappointed in that the exhaust wasn't louder, however it seems just right now, at least to me. Control the sound with your right foot, which is a lot of fun.
So I can control the noise level with the gas pedal?

Hmm I do love the deep muffler sound but just not the drone where I sit and drive because I do love to listen to music. Do you have a sound clip of how yours sound like while driving inside the car. Oh and I also have a hardtop too if that matters.

·
Registered
1,115 Posts

Hmm I do love the deep muffler sound but just not the drone where I sit and drive because I do love to listen to music. Do you have a sound clip of how yours sound like while driving inside the car. Oh and I also have a hardtop too if that matters.
Where are you in SoCal? lerative and I both have the Che Dual and are in Simi / San Fernando Valley. Alternative: PM me and within a week i'll email a video with sound.

·
Registered
555 Posts
rule of thumb: there's a good correlation w/ the size of the actually muffler with exhaust drone. i had the tte/remus (which had a similar size muffler as stock) that had minimal drone. there's also a science behind acoustics (resonators, etc) that can affect drone as well.

·
Registered
120 Posts

Depending on where you are in So Cal we can meet up over lunch or the weekend and you can get a up front experience. Or i'll try to get a video clip of the sound this weekend. A hard top will help reduce the sound, not sure abou the drone though.

·
Registered
1,115 Posts
Depending on where you are in So Cal we can meet up over lunch or the weekend and you can get a up front experience. Or i'll try to get a video clip of the sound this weekend. A hard top will help reduce the sound, not sure abou the drone though.
Yeah I am free too. The hard top moves the drone from maybe ~60mph to a much better ~75mph (gone mostly, assuming combined with baffling in the storage compartment.

·
Registered
1,029 Posts
these guys know how to eliminate drone, may wanna ask them...

·
Registered
501 Posts
with ppe headers and high flow car my ches dual canister still has a drone. In the higher RPM's it sounds absolutely beautiful, but cruising in 5th at 55-65 it does have a drone.
i know what you mean i have the same exhaust set-up except my che lotus exhaust is the single canister type and it is realy loud after 4000rpm but becomes insanely loud after 5500rpm, but my che catback's muffler sound damping material has dissappeared causing the muffler to become hollow and now you can't hear anything in the cabin if i'm going hard

·
Registered
1,115 Posts
Yea we should totally have a Cali meet=)

I'm expecting there will be a 20-to-40 person SoCal meet before mid-summer... There's a thread on that.

But if you need a road test on the Che exhaust you are welcome to come to S.F. Valley for a weeknight late dinner or weekend lunch.

1 - 20 of 20 Posts